Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Sunday, April 10, 2022

Blu Ray/Movie Review: 10 Things I Hate About You (10th Anniversary Edition)

 


This is a light adaptation of Shakespeare's play "The Taming of the Shrew". The Shrew in this case being Kat Strattford (played by Julia Stiles). It is partly a coming-of-age comedy and partly a romantic comedy. The basic plot is that Joseph Gordon Levitt's character, Cameron, wants to date Kat's sister Bianca (played by Larisa Oleynik). Their overly protective father (played by Larry Miller) will only allow Bianca to date only when Kat does. Kat has little to no interest in dating, so he thinks the plan is foolproof. Cameron hires the high-school "bad boy" Patrick (played by Heath Ledger in his first major role) to take Kat out, believing he is the only one with the guts to do so, and of course, Patrick and Kat begin to fall for each other until things go off the rails.

The movie sports a strong supporting cast including Andrew Keegan, David Krumholtz, who pretty much steals every scene he is in, Gabrielle Union, Daryl Mitchell, who is great as the English teacher, and Allison Janney as the school guidance counselor/budding romance novelist. While the movie is somewhat predictable, it is pulled off very well. The movie is pretty well-written and very well acted, blending moody teen angst with teen comedy.

For those who get the Blu-Ray, there is a 35-minute tenth-anniversary look back at the movie that combines new and archival material including deleted scenes, vintage interviews, and Ledger's audition footage. There is also a commentary track on the movie with the writers as well as cast members Andrew Keegan, David Krumholtz, Larisa Oleynik, and Susan May Pratt that is definitely worth listening to.

Overall, the movie is very good. Ledger and Stiles both shine in their roles and everyone in the supporting cast had at least one good moment of screen time. It is a fun teen comedy that while predictable holds up well now even twenty years later.

No comments: