Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, April 11, 2022

Blu-Ray/Movie Review: Adventureland

 


Adventureland has a pretty simple plot. A recent college grad named James, played by Jessee Eisenberg, plans to go on a trip to Europe before moving to New York for graduate school. He finds out that his parents are broke and have no way to financially assist him, so he ends up taking a job at a local theme park called Adventureland. There he meets Em, played by Kristen Stewart, whom he falls for, but she happens to be in a relationship with a married man named Mike Connell, played by Ryan Reynolds. Then, the rom-com love triangle story proceeds from there.

While the movie does fall into the category of a romantic comedy, it is not a cookie-cutter story by any means. The relationships are more complicated than falling for each other, splitting up, and getting back together. The backdrop of working in a crappy job that everyone hates makes the story pretty relatable. The story is well-written and very well acted. Stewart, who was also doing the Twilight series at the same time this was made really showed that she had acting chops far beyond what she was able to display in Twilight. And Eisenberg did a good job playing a guy who was a combination of a sensitive "loser" and an arrogant ass. The movie was set in 1987, so the movie has a pretty good 80s "alternative" soundtrack.

For those who get the Blu-Ray, the movie looks good in HD. Even without any big CGI sequences, the cinematography looks very good in HD. The extras include feature commentary that includes the director and Eisenberg. There are a couple of minutes worth of deleted scenes, a seventeen-minute making-of documentary, six minutes worth of fake promos for the amusement park, and a couple of features centered around the supporting characters. A decent amount for people who like watching the bonus material.

Overall, the movie is very good. It is well written and acted. Not only do Eisenberg and Stewart do a great job in the lead roles, but it also has a strong supporting cast including Kristen Wig, Bill Hader, Marin Starr, and Wendie Malick. As I said above, it is not a cookie-cutter romantic comedy and we really are kind of left to guess at the fate of James and Em's relationship at the end of the movie. It is a good movie that is definitely worth checking out.

No comments: