Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Saturday, April 23, 2022

Book Review: Perfect Soldiers: The 9/11 Hijackers: Who They Were, Why They Did It

 


This is a book that seeks to figure out who the terrorists were who executed the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and, more importantly, why they did what they did. Specifically, to find an explanation that goes beyond the easy "they were crazy" mantra. While the book does discuss all of the terrorists, the focus is on three of the four pilot hijackers, Mohammed Atta, Ziad Jarrah, and Marwan al-Shehhi, who made up the "Hamburg Cell" of terrorists who were all enrolled in schools in Hamburg Germany and ended up going to the most radical Mosque in the city where they ended up being radicalized and started looking for a fight.

A couple of the more interesting takeaways from the book is that not all of the hijackers (especially Atta and Jarrah) were not overtly religious or political growing up, and did not really become either until they were radicalized in Hamburg. Also, they did not even have fervent hatred of the United States, they were just angry and wanted to join any fight. In fact, their initial idea was to go to Chechnya to fight the Russians but ended up at an Al-Queda training camp in Afghanistan shortly after Khalid Sheik Mohammed pitched the "planes operation" to Osama Bin Laden, and he approved to finance the operation. So, they just happened to be the most educated people willing to volunteer for a martyrdom operation and were essentially assigned to the plot that would become the 9/11 attacks. Overall, there was nothing really different or abnormal about any of them, they were just "normal" guys with varying levels of education, some even coming from upper-middle-class backgrounds, that were young and mad and willing to follow whatever they were told. The author also debunks the notion that Atta really planned much of anything, that everyone who knew him said he could follow orders but had very little in the way of leadership ability (because most everyone hated his attitude) or creativity. In fact, he was probably the most "abnormal" one of the bunch as he hated pretty much everyone (especially women) and was just generally miserable about everything.

The book is divided into three parts. The backgrounds of the hijackers, Bin Laden's rise to power, and the actual plot to hijack the planes and execute the attacks on 9/11. The author gives a pretty good reconstruction (as much as he could put together) of the movements of the various people involved up to 9/11. One big takeaway is, that having made as many stupid decisions and mistakes as the hijackers did, even that day at the airports, the fact that they were able to pull the attacks off with the level of success that they did was frankly amazing. And, it underscores just how unprepared our system was at all levels for an attack like this, such that even a bunch of nitwits like these could pull it off. The only thing the book does not go into great detail about is the actual attacks themselves. It basically sets up what happened up to 9/11, but does not go into great detail about the events of the day itself.

Overall, the book is very good. It provides a very interesting look into the lives of the hijackers, what caused them to become radicalized, and what made them do what they did. It does not in any way glorify them or try to make them seem tragic or sympathetic figures. In many ways, it does just the opposite, both by pointing out how stupid some of their actions were and how hypocritical they were regarding their so-called "beliefs" in the days leading up to the attacks. I definitely recommend it.

No comments: