Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

DVD/Study Aid Review: Algebra and Graphing: TI-89 Calculator Tutor: Vol 1

 



As anyone who has ever tried to find anything in a graphing calculator manual, it can be a pain, and sometimes, even when you do find what you are looking for, they are written so badly it is hard to make sense of what it is saying. The TI-89 is a very powerful calculator and can do a lot (so much that many teachers do not allow students to use it on exams). But, it has a pretty steep learning curve, and it is easy to go an entire semester without never really knowing how to use it. This is a guide that can help you get acquainted with many of the most useful functions of the calculator so that you can quickly and efficiently do what you need to do, which is invaluable if your teacher does let you use it on your exams because you will not be wasting your time trying to navigate the calculator.

This is a three-disc DVD set that is actually the first of two volumes Jason put out. This volume basically introduces you to the calculator, the menus, how to navigate it, and then how to perform algebraic operations and graphing. Basically the kind of operations you would use it for in algebra and/or trig/precalculus. In this video, Jason is not in front of a whiteboard, but he is using the TI virtual software that reproduces the calculator on the computer and walking through what buttons you have to push or what menus you need to use to perform different operations. So, you can have your calculator out and follow along with what Jason is doing to really drill the lessons into your mind. I definitely recommend this (and volume two) if you have purchased the calculator since you will likely be going into higher-level math and science classes, and possibly engineering classes, and knowing how to use the calculator well will be a huge asset in any of those classes.

No comments: