Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Thursday, April 28, 2022

DVD/TV Series Review: The Incredible Hulk Season Four

 


Season four of The Incredible Hulk follows the same format that the prior seasons have. Mostly, one-shot and done stories of the week, with really the only arc running through the series is the fact that the reporter Jack McGree is following David/The Hulk around trying to find out who he is. As is the case with the other seasons, the quality of the episodes runs the gamut from kind of dumb to very good. The standout episodes this season include the two-part season premiere titled "Prometheus" involving a meteor that crashes to Earth and affects David's transformation into the Hulk, "King of the Beach", in which Lou Ferrigno has an actual speaking role, playing a bodybuilder and wannabe restaurant owner, the two-part episode "The First" in which David discovers another person who has undergone the metamorphosis, and "The Interview" in which David tells his story to a reporter who manages to track him down.

For those who get the DVDs, the extras include commentary tracks on both episodes of Prometheus by Kenneth Johnson, the series creator and executive producer, a feature called "Inside the Hulk" in which Johnson and some of the show's writers discuss how the show created the character of the Hulk and the process Bixby and Ferrigno had to go through to bring the character to life, and a photo gallery for the Prometheus episode. Johnson's commentaries are always informative, and the guy either has a photographic memory or uses copious notes when he does the commentaries because he knows the dates (and day of the week) scenes were filmed and can rattle off the filmography of nearly every member of the cast and crew. And, he gives a lot of insight into what the working relationship between himself, Bixby, and Ferrigno was like.

Overall, the show is mostly good but definitely has some "clunker" episodes. The writing and acting were both sometimes very cheesy, and there are definitely some episodes that do not hold up extremely well with the passage of time. Others, however, are very much timeless and tackle issues that are still very much relevant over forty years later. The show is much different from the superhero shows of today as the Hulk was not battling super villains, David always just found himself in the worst situation possible in whatever town he happened to end up in, and usually had to help someone being threatened by bad guys. And, the show was rarely ever concerned about continuity as it often recycled guest stars to play different roles/characters than they played before. Although Gerald McRaney did not have a guest-starring role this season as he did in the first three seasons, so, there is that. The show is definitely a "blast from the past" for those of us who grew up either watching it as it originally aired, or watching the re-runs when it aired in syndication. I cannot say that everyone who likes the superhero shows of today like the Arrowverse shows or the various Marvel series like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist will like this, but for those who are in their mid-forties and up, it is a pretty nice nostalgic trip down memory lane.

No comments: