Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Friday, April 8, 2022

Blu-Ray/Movie Review: The A-Team

 


The A-Team is another reboot of a 1980s TV series about an elite military group. In the series, the team helped regular people in need. In the movie, the team is still in the military, taking on the hardest and craziest missions until they are set up for theft and murder. They are all court-martialed and thrown in jail. Of course, they manage to break out and then embark on an effort to clear their name.

The movie stars Liam Neeson as Hannibal Smith, the leader of the team, Bradley Cooper as "Face", Sharlto Copley as mad Murdock, and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson as B.A. Baracus (the role played by Mr. T. in the show). It also stars Jessica Biel as Defense Criminal Investigative Service Capt. Charissa Sosa who is trying to track down the team after they escape, and Patrick Wilson as Lynch, a shady CIA officer.

For those who get the Blu-Ray, the movie looks and sounds great in HD. There are two versions of the movie, the theatrical cut and an extended version that adds a little over ten minutes to the run time. The extras include a director's commentary, deleted scenes, a gag reel, a montage set to the TV show theme, a half-hour long making-of documentary, a twenty-minute long character chronicles feature, a feature on the visual effects, and the theatrical trailer. A good amount of material for those who like going through the bonus features.

Overall, the movie is a fun, action-packed summer blockbuster. It does not try to be more than it is, and it does not take itself too seriously. There is a lot of over-the-top action and lots of explosions, but it works for the tone the movie was going for. It blends in the comedic elements well, especially into the over-the-top stunts that are not even remotely possible in real life. The actors all do a good job in their roles and definitely seem to be having fun with their characters. The end of the movie does set up the possibility of a sequel, but given that we are now a decade removed, chances are that will never materialize. So, if you are in the mood for an action movie that has some funny moments, this is a good choice.

No comments: