Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Friday, April 29, 2022

DVD/Study Aid Review: The Calculus Differential Equations Tutor: Volume 2 - Higher Order Equations

 



This is the second volume of Jason's differential equations tutor. Like the first volume, Jason introduces the concept of higher-order differential equations, discusses how to identify them, and then goes through solving the basic/elementary problems. That material takes up most of disc one, then on discs two and three, Jason goes through Homogeneous and Non-homogeneous ordinary differential equations, and goes through several examples of the various ways to solve them (depending on the types of problems). I heartily disagree with the one-star reviewer on Amazon who says Jason talks too much and takes too long to get to the point. If you already understand the material, then yes, it can be a bit long. But, if you are just learning the material, or do not have a good grasp of the material, then Jason gives you as much background as you need to understand the concepts and talks through the process of how to solve them, explaining each step along the way. It would not work very well for Jason to just be silently going through the problems on the board and expect most people to follow what he is doing. That said, you do have to take your learning style into account, and decide whether watching what amounts to a modified college lecture will work for you and hold your attention.

Between this set and the first volume of the differential equations tutor, you will see much of what you will see in a basic differential equations class (which is usually the version of the class people in engineering programs take). Of course, it depends on your school and how it sets up the curriculum, but in many schools, there is a class that either combines linear algebra and differential equations (in my school it was called Calculus 4), or there will be two separate classes called basic linear algebra and basic differential equations. And, in some schools, the differential equations material gets split up so that some of it is taught in Calc 2 and the rest in Calc 4). So, if you are currently in school, you need to figure out how the classes are set up to know what class corresponds to this material.

The only large subject that a differential equations class includes that this, and the first set, do not, is Laplace Transforms. However, Jason did create a Laplace Transforms Tutor that can really be thought of as the third volume of this set. Differential equations do pop up to varying degrees in more advanced classes down the line, so you really do need to understand this material if you are going on to take engineering classes, which, chances are, the vast majority of people looking at this are going to do. Jason makes the concepts very understandable and gives you the tools necessary to understand how to tackle solving differential equations problems.


No comments: