Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Charmed Season One

 


Charmed was a series set in San Fransisco about three witches named Prue (played by Shannen Doherty), Phoebe (played by Alyssa Milano), and Piper (played by Holly Marie Combs), who learn they have powers after the death of their grandmother. The first season pretty much follows a monster-of-the-week format in which the sisters had to go up against some kind of demon and ultimately vanquish it. This, of course, put the sisters on the radar of the local police (and Prue's ex-boyfriend, played by TW King, a local detective), as they were always getting involved in strange cases. The series was on the air at the same time as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and has a very similar vibe to that as it set everyday problems (like dating, the sister's relationship with each other, etc.,) into the world of magic and demons. It also has some of the same character actors appear as guest stars that Buffy had, usually as a guest bad guy. It also guest-starred a very young and then-unknown Michael Weatherly, who would go on to be a series lead on Dark Angel, then make it big on NCIS and Bull, and David Carradine, who of course was well-known from the original Kung-Fu series and later the Kill Bill movies.

For those who get the Blu-Ray set, it is pretty much an MOD set. It does have captions, but there are no extras at all. The HD transfer was okay, but not that great, and at time really showed off the limitations of the CGI of the time. Of course, this is pre-Matrix changing everything about CGI, and it was done on a TV budget. Even so, the special effects could be laughably bad and nothing compared to what today's tv series put out. And, since it was shot on film and not digital, it definitely has the look (especially in the stock shots) of a 1990s TV series (and sometimes even looks like the series that were shot in the 1980s).

Overall, the show is very good. The writing can be a bit cheesy at times, but the acting was very good. All of the lead actresses had good chemistry with each other and played off each other well. As most fans of the show know, Milano and Doherty eventually came to hate each other and Doherty ended up leaving the show, but if they did not like each other from the start they were able to hide it pretty well. Of course, with Doherty playing the oldest sister and Milano playing the youngest one, some of that animosity could have helped their performances because they did convincingly bicker with each other. Even though the look of the show, at least in the first season) is a bit dated, the stories do hold up pretty well even 20-plus years later. Of course, having a ridiculously good-looking cast in their mid-twenties to early thirties does not hurt either. It is available to stream, but if you prefer physical discs to streaming it is worth the blu-ray pickup (unless you only get the physical discs when there are a lot of extras available).

No comments: