Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Saturday, April 23, 2022

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Dexter: Seasons 1-5

 


Dexter was a show which aired on Showtime from 2006 to 2013 and was then brought back for a limited series run in 2022. It starred Michael C. Hall as Dexter Morgan, who, by day, was a blood-spatter analyst for Miami Metro Homicide, and by night was a serial killer, with a twist. The twist being, that he only killed bad people (usually other killers) who got away with their crimes. The main storyline is that Dexter saw his mother murdered and dismembered when he was a child and was adopted by the cop (played by James Remar) for whom his mother was a confidential informant. When Dexter started displaying violent tendencies, his father Harry taught him how to kill without being caught and instilled a code for when it was permissible to kill. Harry (who is dead in "real life") acts as Dexter's conscience throughout the series.

The rest of the cast included Jennifer Carpenter as Debra Morgan, Dexter's adoptive sister and a detective at Miami Metro, David Zayas as Detective Angel Butista, Lauren Vélez as Lieutenant (later Captain) María LaGuerta, C. S. Lee as lab tech Vince Masuka (who was pretty much the comedic relief), Erik King as Seargent James Doakes, and Julie Benz (of Buffy and Angel fame) as Dexter's girlfriend Rita, who tethered Dexter to the real-world.

This set includes the first five seasons of the show, which were the best seasons of the show's original run. The series was in part a story-of-the-week procedural with a larger "big bad" that Dexter had to deal with throughout the season. The first season involved a killer that was dubbed the "Ice Truck Killer" who leaves clues specifically for Dexter. The best season of this set, and maybe the best season of the entire series, is season four, which is the season that involved the "Trinity killer" that leads to one of the best season finales in TV history. Along with the "main" killer Dexter has to worry about each season, he is always trying to keep from getting caught himself, and is every so often on the verge of being discovered.

This set is just the individual season sets bundled together. The extras varied from season to season, but generally included commentary tracks on selected episodes, sometimes with members of the cast, other times with the show's producers or writers, then there were usually behind-the-scenes or making-of featurettes. In some of the seasons, most extras are enabled via BD live so you need a network-connected player to access them.

Overall, the show is very good. That said, not everyone is going to like it. It is very violent, as you would expect, has a lot of swearing, and has some nudity and sexual content. It is very well written and acted. Hall does a great job playing a person with very few real emotions having to fake his way through everyday life to seem normal. Carpenter steals pretty much every scene she is in, especially in the early seasons, and really all the characters get developed well and all the cast members get a chance to shine at some point during the series. The series does go downhill a bit in the later seasons, but this set definitely has the best seasons of the show (not that I would call any of the seasons bad). So, if you are looking for a unique show that is definitely not cookie cutter or a carbon copy of anything, this is definitely worth checking out.

No comments: