Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, April 4, 2022

DVD/TV Series Review: American Dad: Volumes 1-4

 


American Dad is a now long-running adult animated comedy that was created by the creator of Family Guy, Seth McFarlane, who also voices multiple characters on the show, including the lead character Stan Smith. The show is set in Langly Falls Virginia and focuses on Stan's life as a CIA agent, and his family which includes his wife Francine, his son Steve, his daughter Haley, an alien named Roger, and a talking fish named Klaus. Stan saved Roger from the CIA and Klaus was a German olympian whose consciousness was transferred into a fish. So, the show does get a bit silly under the guise of the CIA covering tons of things up. In the early seasons, the show really focused on Stan's job and then tied in "side stories" that involved the other characters. Over the course of time the show gets more off the wall and usually involves Roger and his various characters (people he dresses up as to hide the fact he is an alien).

This set has the first five DVD volumes. They are not really seasons, as when the show was released on DVD in the early years, much like family guy, they did not put all the season episodes in one DVD set. For example, Volume 1 has the first 13 episodes from season one, and then Volume 2 has the rest of the season one episodes and the first nine episodes from season 2. In the early releases, the sets included a lot of extras including commentary tracks on some episodes, featurettes, deleted scenes, animatics, and the ability to watch the episodes with uncensored or censored audio. In later releases, they just released the DVDs with uncensored audio.

Overall, the show is a story-of-the-week type of show that occasionally refers back to prior episodes or events. But mostly, you don't have to have seen prior episodes to in order to get what is going on. It has a very similar comedy style as Family Guy, but it does not do as many cutaways or include as many pop culture references as Family Guy does. It is definitely not a show for kids as there is swearing and a lot of adult jokes, including many that it is surprising made it past censors when the show was on Fox. Chances are, most people reading this have an idea of what the show is and is not, but if you are just trying to figure out whether to watch the show if you like more adult humor and are not offended easily, it is worth watching, especially the early seasons which were, in my opinion, better than the later seasons are.

No comments: