Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Thursday, March 23, 2023

Book Review: The Eleventh Day: The Full Story of 9/11

 


The Eleventh Day is a book that details pretty much all aspects of the September 11th terrorist attacks, from the leadup to the aftermath. The paperback version was put out about 10 years after the attacks, right around the time bin Laden was found and killed. The "main" portion of the book is 456 pages, 88 of which detail what happened on September 11th, the attacks, and the response by the first responders, the FAA, the military, and the politicians. Then, there are about 120 pages of endnotes, where the authors flesh out even more information. Much of the book details the lead-up to 9/11, including the rise to power of Osama bin Laden and his network and how the US government really failed to deal with him during both the Clinton and Bush administrations. It also detailed the backgrounds of the hijackers and how they got into the US and what they were doing in the months before the attack. Basically, it ties everything together about how 9/11 was planned and how it was carried out, and then goes into a lot of detail about how the US responded.

One big takeaway I got from the book is just how ill-prepared the US was for an attack like this despite the many warnings that were out there that something huge attack, including the possibility of using planes, was looming. And, just how easy it was for essentially, a group of idiots, many of whom should have been caught long before the attacks had the US intelligence agencies and law enforcement been working together. In fact, the CIA knew that at least two of the hijackers were in the US and did not tell the FBI until about two weeks before the attacks, long after the CIA no longer had any idea where they were. What was also interesting is that at almost all levels, al-Queda nearly bungled the entire thing, including bin Laden initially choosing people with high school educations to be pilots until it was made clear that they had no chance at ever learning how to fly a plane and were then relegated to being the muscle hijackers. Many of the hijackers could not speak English and even on 9/11 itself had no idea if they had plane tickets, screwed up the boarding process, and really should have been prevented from even boarding the airplanes. So, it really details the luck of the terrorist and the failures of our government.

In the sections on the aftermath, the book also tackles the various conspiracy theories, from things that amount to good questions but have relatively simple explanations, to the outright crazy things that some have come up with. They also provide great detail on how the Bush administration took their eye off the ball in going after the people who actually planned the attacks, and outright lied about Iraq playing some kind of role in 9/11 to justify the Iraq war.

My only complaint about the book is the endnotes. The text in the book does not have endnote numbers, and the notes themselves are categorized by chapter and the pages the material is referencing. But, if you really want to match portions up, you would have to flip back to the page in the book and then back to the endnotes. It would be very tedious. I think the authors would have been better to use footnotes and put the source material at the bottom of each page in the text. The book would really not have been much longer, and it would have been easier to go through the source material. That is what knocks it down a star for me.

Overall, the book is very well-written and extremely well-sourced. It has a lot of detail that even if you have watched many of the documentaries on 9/11 or read other books, including the very real possibility of a fifth plane that may have been targeted for hijacking that day that never got to take off. So, if you are looking for a book that really details how and why 9/11 happened, this is definitely worth reading.


No comments: