Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Saturday, January 14, 2023

Book Review: Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp Series Book 3 Chronological Order; Book 1 Publication Order)

 


Transfer of Power is the first novel in the series of spy novels centered on the character of Mitch Rapp, written by Vince Flynn in 1999. It was actually his second book, a quasi-follow-up to the novel Term Limits, which features some of the characters that would appear throughout the Mitch Rapp series, but not Rapp himself. In chronological order, this is the third book in the series, following American Assassin and Kill Shot, which were prequel novels that Flynn wrote after having written several novels involving the older, more experienced Rapp. In this book, Rapp is 31 years old and a seasoned terrorist hunter, so the events in this book are probably set around 6-7 years, give or take, after the events of the novel Kill Shot.

The book starts out with a team of CIA agents led by Mitch Rapp capturing a terrorist in Iran, only to discover a potential terrorist attack on Washington D.C. The attack involves a terrorist named Rafique Aziz and a team of terrorists capturing the White House, with the intention of taking the President (a fictional President named Hayes) hostage. Rapp has to infiltrate the White House which is under terrorist control and attempt to save the President and several other people being held hostage, all while having to deal with the political machinery with politicians, the military, and law enforcement all trying to figure out how to resolve the crisis.

For those who read American Assassin and Kill Shot first, this novel does not resolve things that were left open at the end of Kill Shot. Of course, at that time Flynn had not come up with those stories (just Rapp's backstory) and there is no mention of Stan Hurley and some of the other characters that appear in the first two novels. Although Irene Kennedy and Thomas Stansfield are prominently featured in this book. And we know that Rapp has been single for several years, so something happened to end his relationship with Greta. I have not read the novels that were written after Kill Shot (that resumed the story with an older Rapp), so I am not sure if there are tiebacks to either American Assassin or Kill Shot to fill in a bit of that time jump, but if you are reading the novels in publication order, it is not really an issue.

The book is a moderate length, just under 400 pages, but like American Assassin and Kill Shot, it reads fairly easily and quickly. It has a good blend of action and suspense and even a new love interest (new if you have read American Assassin and Kill Shot) for Rapp. It does seem that Flynn was still developing his writing style (which makes sense since this was the second novel he had ever written), but it is similar in style and tone to the later books.

And for those who may be curious, while Flynn was a fairly prominent conservative, his political leanings (beyond his general dislike for politicians as a whole) do not really come through in the book. In real-life Flynn was friends with Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck, two of the most worthless pieces of shit ever in my opinion, but having heard Flynn interviewed on a local radio station here in the Twin Cities on a show that he appeared on regularly with a guy who was not a right-wing nut job, Flynn came off as a reasonable, more moderate conservative than the whack jobs that have taken over the Republican party. But, like I said, the book is more of an action and suspense thriller than it is a political novel (although there is some political intrigue and backbiting in the book). Unfortunately, since the American Assassin movie flopped, this story will probably never make it to the big screen, but a version of the storyline was adapted in the seventh season of 24. Even though Flynn was no longer a consultant on 24 at that point, it is clear that this novel served as inspiration for that storyline, as the character of Mitch Rapp did for the character of Jack Bauer, overall. So, if you are a fan of spy novels, this is a good one and is even a bit prophetic given things that happened in the lead-up to, and including the 9/11 attacks.

No comments: