Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, January 2, 2023

Workout Update: Lift 4/Beginner Pilates Doubles Day 8

Day 8 marks the beginning of week two. For the Beginner Pilates workout that means doing Pilates Flow 1. It is a total-body workout that builds on the concepts that were learned in the fundamentals workouts, but with a bit less modifying than those two had. There are definitely some challenging moves in the workout, and I did have to pause a couple of times. I still cannot do the double leg side leg lifts very well (a move in which you lay on your side and lift both legs off the ground without using your arms to help push you up). I did get my legs a little higher when I was laying on my left side today than I did last week, but when I lay on my right side I can barely get my legs off the ground. The reason I love (and hate) Pilates is that it definitely focuses on my weak spots when it comes to flexibility and core strength. I generally think that Pilates is tougher for guys because we tend to be tighter in our hips, low back, and hamstrings, sometimes regardless of overall core strength. There are some moves that I feel like I can barely move my body a centimeter when Lisa is completely folded forward with her head touching her knees. Of course, she has been doing Pilates for years and is in phenomenal shape whereas I have dabbled in Pilates off and on for years, and most certainly am not in phenomenal shape. But, I do what I can and just focus on getting better each workout.

The Lift-4 workout is another chest and triceps workout, but this week you do another two quad circuits (4 exercises, two chest exercises, and two triceps exercises, doing 10 reps of each exercise back-to-back with no rest). You do three rounds of each quad set, with 30 seconds between each round. After you do the two quad sets you do a blowout set, that is three rounds of wide push-ups followed immediately by triceps push-ups. After you finish those, the workout ends with two core-focused exercises. So, while there is no HITT cardio in this workout, your heart rate does get up there, and even lifting light weights, you get tired. It is still a guessing game for the weights for me. This week I mostly had to use lighter weights than last week for some of the same moves because the quad set is harder than doing two exercises back-to-back. The most I used was 20 lbs for the chest presses, and it was a struggle by the third round. 

No comments: