Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Sunday, January 22, 2023

Book Review: Star Wars: Thrawn: Alliances

 


This is the second novel in what was, back in 2017, the new Thrawn trilogy which returned the book is a fine follow-up novel to the first book, just entitled Thrawn, but it is not as good as any of the novels in the very popular original Thrawn Trilogy of novels (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command) which were written by the same author back in the 1990s, which are now relegated to Legends, or non-canon status. 

This book is set in two time periods, one during the Clone Wars, between Episodes II and III, and the other between Episode III and a New Hope, during the events of the animated series Rebels. The novel is set mostly on the planet Batuu in each of the time periods. In the early time period, Anakin is trying to find Padme who was kidnapped on Batuu, and in the later time period, The Emporer tasks Thrawn and Darth Vader to investigate a disturbance in the Force the Emperor has felt. 

This book has a lot more action than the first Thrawn novel, and it shows off more of Thrawn's strategic planning and thinking ability than the first book did. Zahan is definitely setting up a larger plot, even though much of the storyline that is set in the "present" is resolved by the end. Vader and Thrawn actually work well together, even though neither particularly likes the arrangement, and Thrawn does have suspicions as to Vader's real identity although he agrees to never speak of the subject. 

While Thrawn is not written exactly the same way in the new canon as he was in the Legends books, some of the character traits do carry over to the new novels. I am guessing that Zahn has much less carte-blanch to do what he wants with the character than he did years ago when the only directive from LucasFilm is that he could not kill any of the legacy characters off and he could not set any of the stories before A New Hope. I find this to be one of the better novels in the new canon and definitely consider it one of the must-read novels. 

No comments: