Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Book Review: September 11: An Oral History

 


This is a collection of oral histories/narratives from people who lived through the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Some of the accounts were from people who were in the buildings at the time the planes hit, and others were by people who were nearby and caught up in the aftermath. Most of the stories in the book come from people who were in New York, either working in or doing something around the World Trade Center. Of the 247 pages of the book, about 200 of them are devoted to stories from people who were in NY. The last handful of stories are from people who were in the Pentagon when it was hit and their experience trying to get out or trying to get people to safety.

Some of the stories that are included in the book are fairly well-known, especially if you have watched the 9/11 documentaries, such as that of Brian Clark, who worked on the 84th floor of the South Tower and was one of just a handful of people who were above the point of impact who managed to make it down and out.  Other stories are probably not as widely known but are no less harrowing. The author also managed to interview some of the first responders, including an EMT who was performing triage on the injured people coming out of the towers who came across a woman who had either jumped or fallen from the North Tower, but who did not die instantly and was telling him that she was not dead, despite the lower-half of her body being destroyed, and witnesses such as a man who was working on the roof of a nearby building when Flight 11 flew so low overhead that he could see people sitting in their seats. There are also a handful of stories about close calls and near misses, such as a man who worked for Marsh Mclennan, which lost hundreds of employees who worked on the 100th floor of the North Tower, but a series of events that morning caused him to be a few minutes behind schedule so that he was only on the 79th floor, below the impact zone when the plane hit, or a man whose family was originally booked on Flight 11 to fly back to California, but changed to a later flight.

The book is not overly long, just under 250 pages. The stories are separated into different chapters. First, people who were in the North Tower are in one chapter, stories from people in the South Tower is another chapter, then there is a chapter about people who were outside the towers and witnessed the events, then a chapter for first responders, and then a chapter on the Pentagon. The author did not include any interviews with family members of the people on Flight 93. The stories in the book are very emotional, even twenty-plus years after the attacks. The descriptions of the devastation can get graphic, so be aware of that if you do decide to read this. The stories range in length from just over a page to 5-6 pages, depending on how much detail the particular person went into. It is a very emotional read, and you can tell that the experience for the people telling the stories was still very raw at the time they were talking to the author.  

 


No comments: