Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Friday, November 24, 2023

DVD/TV Series Review: Baywatch Nights Seasons 1 and 2 (German Import)

 


Baywatch Nights was the first series to be spun off from the massively popular syndicated series, Baywatch. The series aired for two seasons from 1995 to 1997. The first season was a pretty standard procedural crime drama. The premise was that Elerbee (played by Gregory Alan Williams) got sick of being a beach cop and bought a private detective agency in which Mitch (David Hasselhoff) was going to be an investor. Mitch ends up joining him as a private detective, along with Angie Harmon's character, Ryan McBride. 

In the first season, Lisa Stahl, who had a small recurring role on the main show reprised her character Destiny as a series regular for about half the season, and Lou Rawls played a completely new character named Lou Raymond, the owner of a club above which Mitch, Ryan, and Elerbee had their office. About halfway through the season, Stahl left and Donna D'Errico and Eddie Cribrian joined the cast.

In the second season, the show took a weird, and frankly kind of stupid, turn, basically turning into a paranormal thriller, trying to capture some of the popularity of the X-Files. In season 2, Rawls left the show entirely, Williams left save for a role in the series finale, and D'Errico (who had moved over to the main series) and Cribrian's roles were largely reduced (to the point of being non-existent). Dorian Gregory (who would later go on to be a supporting character in the original Charmed series) joined the cast playing Diamont Teague, a paranormal expert who helped Mitch and Ryan with their cases.

The DVD set is a German Import. They are Region Free discs, however, so you can play them on a US blu-ray or DVD player.  There are 12 discs (6 per season) all in a big keep case. Unfortunately, it is the kind of case in which two discs have to be stacked on top of each other and some discs fall off of the tabs very easily while others are very hard to get off the tabs. The DVD menus are in German and the audio defaults to German, but you can switch to the English audio track. There are no captions, however. On discs 6 and 12 there are bonus features. Most of the bonus material specific to the show, including behind-the-scenes featurettes and trailers for each of the season 1 episodes are on disc 6. On disc 12, there are a couple of trailers for the second season of the show and a photo gallery. Then, on both discs 6 and 12, there are trailers for other movies and TV shows. The bonus features specific to Baywatch Nights are in English and the other trailers are in German. Also of note, the episodes are not remastered, so the A/V quality is pretty low. 

Overall, the show alternates between bad and horrible. The first season shows are kind of cheesy but are pretty similar in quality to what you got in the parent show. The second season is trash. Just awful, garbage, made even worse by Hasselhoff's overacting. Occasionally, characters from the main show (such as Yasmine Bleeth and Michael Newman) did appear on Nights, but for the most part, there was very little crossover (or continuity) between the two shows. This is absolutely not a must-watch, even if you are a fan of the main Baywatch series, but it is interesting in a morbid curiosity kind of way.

No comments: