Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Sunday, November 19, 2023

DVD/TV Series Review: Baywatch Nights: Season 2 (German Import)

 


Season 2 of Baywatch Nights, the first spin-off of the wildly popular lifeguard show, Baywatch, aired in syndication during the 1996-1997 TV season. In season 2 the show was taken in a completely different direction from season 1. Unfortunately, that direction was totally off the rails from hot, but somewhat entertaining garbage, to complete garbage. The entire premise of the show was switched from a crime drama to a paranormal thriller. Essentially, the show tried to do something similar to X-Files, but because the writing and acting (mainly due to Hasselhoff's hammy overacting) were so bad, the show never came near the quality of X-Files. It was just cheesy, not thrilling, suspenseful, or scary.

There was quite a bit of cast turnover this season. Both Gregory Alan Williams and Lou Rawls left the show (although Williams did have a guest appearance in the finale), and the roles of Donna D'Errico and Eddie Cribrian were very reduced. In D'Errico's case, she had moved over to the main show as a series regular, but Cribrian was absent from many of the second-season episodes and when he was included, his character had very little to contribute. The big addition to the cast in season 2 was Dorian Gregory (best known for his role in the original Charmed series), who plays Diamont Teague, a paranormal expert, who helps Mitch and Ryan with the cases. The only notable guest stars during season 2 were the very recognizable character actor Erick Avari, and Alexandra Paul, reprising her role as Stephanie Holden. 

There are different DVD sets out there. Mine is a German import that requires either a Region 2 or Region Free DVD or Blu-Ray player to watch it. The DVD menu, titles of the episodes, and end credits are all in German. While the audio does default to playing in German, you can play the English audio track by switching the audio in your player's settings or options. There are a handful of extras included, two of which are specific to the show (two trailers and a photo gallery), and the rest (trailers for other movies and TV series). The trailers for the show itself are in English and the other trailers are all in German (and do include some nudity).

Season 2 is horrible. Unlike the first season, you cannot really say it's so bad it's good. The stories are dumb and there is little to no continuity with the main show. For example, Mitch and Ryan continue their on-again-off-again relationship tease, but on the main show, during season 7 (which aired the same year as season 2 of Nights), Mitch was in a relationship with Nancy Valen's character for a good portion of the season. The only good thing was Angie Harmon being willing to be in skimpy outfits from time to time, but that was not enough to save the show and it was thankfully canceled after this season. It does seem like the show was canceled after the season ended since it did not really wrap up the characters' arcs in any meaningful way. The only reason to get the DVD set is to maintain a collection, and there is really no reason to actually watch the episodes other than morbid curiosity.

No comments: