Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Thursday, September 1, 2022

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: The Flash: Season 1

 


The Flash is the first show spun off from the series Arrow, creating what has come to be called the Arrowverse. It had a backdoor pilot in season two of Arrow, introducing Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) who at that time had no powers and was just a CSI for the Central City police department who was also trying to solve the murder of his mother (who was killed when he was a young boy) and to free his father from prison. The actual pilot episode gives the backstory of the death of Barry's mother and why the police believed his father, Henry (who is played by John Wesley Shipp, who also played The Flash in the 1990s series). The pilot establishes that Barry gets his powers because of an accident at the nearby Star Labs in which a particle accelerator explodes, which has ramifications throughout the season. As Barry discovers his powers, he is aided by the Star Labs staff including Dr. Harrison Wells (played by Tom Cavanagh), Cisco Ramon (played by Carlos Valdes), and Caitlin Snow (played by Danielle Panabaker). We also learn that Barry was taken in by Joe West, a detective at the CCPD (played by Law and Order's Jesse L. Martin), and raised basically as his son. We also learn that Barry is in love with Joe's daughter Iris (played by Candice Patton) who is engaged to another Central City cop, Eddie Thawne (played by Rick Cosnett).

As most of the Arrowverse shows are, The Flash is a mix of a case-of-the-week procedural (in the Flash's case kind of like the "freak of the week" ala Smallville) in which different people who got powers because of the particle accelerator explosion (called Metahumans) have to be tracked down by the team, and a serial with a large story arc that plays throughout the season. That arc is the mystery of the murder of Barry's mom, which has a lot of twists and turns that are slowly revealed throughout the season. There is a Big Bad of the season, but who it is (although chances are most people reading this by now know) is a huge reveal that is not apparent until well into the season. There is also the first crossover with the parent series Arrow, in which a storyline starts on Flash and finishes on Arrow. Besides the crossover, characters from Arrow make other appearances on the show throughout the season. By the end of the season, some of the storylines are wrapped up, and others are revealed as the season ends on a huge cliffhanger going into season two.

For those who get the Blu-Ray set, the show looks and sounds great in HD. There are a lot of extras including a Commentary by Executive Producers Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg and DC Comics' Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns for the pilot episode, about 35-minutes of deleted scenes spread across all the discs, a feature called Behind the Story: The Trickster Returns! that runs just under nine minutes, about the original series; a making-of/behind-the-scenes featurette titled The Fastest Man Alive (30:39/HD), a neat history of the character. You also get Creating the Blur: The VFX of The Flash that runs about a half an hour, a feature on Emily Bett Rickards and Grant Gustin's chemistry together, a half-hour long feature on the DC Comics Night at the 2014 Comic-Con 2014, and a Gag Reel that runs about eight minutes. So, a lot there if you like the extras.

Overall, this is a very strong season for the show. It has a much different tone than Arrow and really stands on its own as a show despite leaning on the characters from Arrow from time to time. It also has several nice tie-ins with the original Flash series using John Wesley Shipp, but also using Amanda Pays as Tina McGee (who also starred in the 1990s series) and Mark Hamill as The Trickster. Season One also introduces characters that will have much larger roles in the Arrowverse down the line. It is definitely worth watching if you are a fan of superhero shows like Smallville (which was really the predecessor to all the CW Superhero shows) and Arrow. It is well written and very well acted, and worth the time to check out.

No comments: