Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Friday, September 9, 2022

Blu-Ray/Movie Review: Showgirls 15th Anniversary

 


Showgirls is a 2005 erotic drama starring Elizabeth Berkley, Gina Gershon, and Kyle MacLachlan. It is a movie that is panned, for good reason. The story is cheesy, the acting is bad (despite having some good actors and actresses in it), mostly because of really bad writing, and some of the sex scenes are so over-the-top (e.g., the scene in the pool) that they are funnier than they are sexy. Of course, the big deal about the movie back in the mid-1990s when it was made is that Elizabeth Berkley, who played the wholesome (mostly) Jesse Spano in the series Saved by the Bell, was going to be playing a stripper and doing her first nude role. Berkley plays Nomi Malone, who moves to Vegas to be a legit dancer. Of course, that does not work out, and she ends up dancing in a seedy strip club where she is spotted by Crystal Connors (played by Gina Gershon), the star of a local Cabaret show, who wants the producer, Zach (played by Twin Peaks' Kyle MacLachlan) to bring Nomi into the show. From there, it becomes a tale of backstabbing and sabotage and Nomi goes for the top billing in the show.

The movie was a huge flop at the box office but became a cult classic when it hit DVD. This is the 15th-anniversary blu-ray and does get a pretty good A/V upgrade from the DVD release. Most of the extras are ported over from the DVD release and include an entertaining commentary on the movie with "Showgirls enthusiast" David Schmader (none of the stars of the movie would touch this, apparently), a featurette called "Lap Dance Tutorial Featuring The World-Famous Girls of Scores" which is pretty self-explanatory, a trivia game, and the theatrical trailer. There is also a behind-the-scenes feature that is a production diary and shows how crazy director Paul Verhoeven was about the movie. That is the only feature that included any of the actual cast members, and then a new feature for the blu-ray release was a featurette with Shelia Kelley, who developed a program of exercise based on the movement of stripping. No new features with the cast members.

Overall, the movie is entertaining if you take it for what it is. Yes, it has a lot of nudity in it, and you can definitely tell that Berkley got into amazing shape for the role and really worked hard at the dancing. It most definitely would not get an NC-17 rating today as it did back then, but that was a different time. As I said above, the sex scenes were pretty laughable, but nothing that would garner the NC-17 rating nowadays. If you are expecting an award-winning drama or coming-of-age story, this is definitely not it. If you take it for what it is, you can get a good chuckle out of it.

No comments: