Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Justified: The Final Season

 


+++Warning, this contains spoilers from the prior season, but no major giveaways from season six.+++

The final season of Justified has a lot to do in the last handful of episodes. First, there is the Raylan vs. Boyd final act in which Raylan (with the help of Ava who now has to act as an informant against Boyd in order to avoid going back to prison) tries to take down Boyd for good via a RICO case for the murder of the corrupt federal agent. There is also the story of the larger mob, this season represented by Sam Elliott and Mary Steenburgen who plays Winn Duffy's widow. The series also brings on Deadwood alumn Garret Dillahunt (who is one of the most versatile bad guy character actors out there). The show does a good job tying up the loose storylines and ends with a sense of life goes on, and uses a four-year time jump to give an idea of how the various characters ends up.

For those who get the blu-ray set, the A/V quality is extremely good, as it has been in all of the prior season releases. The extras are not as extensive as they have been in prior years. There are deleted scenes on five of the season's thirteen episodes (9 scenes totaling 12:39 in length) a featurette titled "Directing the Show" (which runs about 11-minutes ) is a piece where actor/director Adam Arkin shows the viewer his process and approach to the show, while the crew discusses him as a director. A short feature on the locations used to portray Harlan and a feature titled "Dutch Speaks" (that runs just under 12-minutes), in which Elmore Leonard explains his origins in writing and inspirations for the story and characters that became Justified, and shares his thoughts on the characters.

Overall, this is a good final season of a great show. The writers did a good job tying things up while also finding a way to incorporate some characters from earlier seasons such as Limehouse (Mykelti Williamson), Dickie Bennett (Jeremy Davies), Constable Sweeney (played by the always awesome Patton Oswalt) did the same, and even has Arlo (Raymond J. Barry) return for a flashback. Like the prior seasons, this one does have a lot of adult content. I'd say the sex is toned down from prior seasons, but it is still violent and there are quite a few s-bombs that get dropped (but that is the worst of the swearing). Joelle Carter is really the standout cast member (although the entire cast does a good job) with her portrayal of Ava, who is an even more complex and conflicted character this season than she was in the earlier season. So, if you are a fan of the show, this is definitely worth the pickup.

No comments: