Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Saturday, May 20, 2023

Book Review: The Last Man: (Mitch Rapp Series Book 13)

 


The Last Man is the 13th book in the Mitch Rapp series of novels, regardless of whether you start reading the books in chronological or publication order. The book was published in 2012 after Vince Flynn had written the two prequel novels, American Assassin and Kill Shot, in which he went back and told the story of Rapp's early career. This would also, sadly, be the last complete novel in the series written by Flynn who would pass away a year later after battling cancer for three years. Flynn actually worked a cancer storyline into this book by giving one of the characters a terminal diagnosis.

The Last Man does another reset of the story, while still including characters from the prior novels and referring to old storylines. The crux of the story in this novel is that a CIA analyst in Afghanistan is kidnapped, and Rapp is dispatched to find him. While investigating the kidnapping, Rapp, Scott Coleman, and Mike Nash uncover a larger conspiracy.  He also weaves in some real-world elements like the animosity between the CIA and the FBI, corruption and anti-American sentiments in the governments of countries that are ostensibly an ally of America, and the like.

After Flynn passed away, it was initially unclear whether the series would go on. As most are aware, the series was passed to author Kyle Mills, who would complete the next book (which Flynn had started before he died) and write many additional novels. The book is moderately long at just over 400 pages, but it reads pretty quickly. and is hard to put down. If you are a fast reader, you can get through it in a few days or less. If you have been a fan of the prior novels, you will probably like or love this one. 

No comments: