Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Streaming Series Review: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Episode 5 (spoilers)


The penultimate episode (at least for now) of Obi-Wan Kenobi opens with a flashback to the Episode II era, with Anakin and Obi-Wan training. Obi-Wan tries to teach Anakin a lesson in patience and restraint, and that he does not have to fight to win. Then we flash to the present day with Vader and Reva headed toward the path on Jabim, having tracked Leia's droid Lola. Of course, Vader only cares about capturing (and torturing) Kenobi, and couldn't care less about anyone else. He appoints Reva Grand Inquisitor and sends her down to secure the planet so he can deal with Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan, knowing what Anakin will do, seemingly gives himself up, and in the process figures out just who Reva is and how she is one of the few that knows that Vader is Anakin. 

We find out that Reva is indeed one of the younglings we saw during Order 66 in the first episode, and she was actually stabbed by Vader during the attack but did not die, only playing dead after Anakin/Vader moved on. The show never makes it clear when or how she became an Inquisitor, but we find out that she has been trying to get close to Vader so she can kill him, hating him as much as she hates Obi-Wan for abandoning the younglings. Obi-Wan and Reva form somewhat of an alliance, which allows the group to narrowly escape Vader, after ditching the tracker in Lola. Reva tries to attack Vader, and that goes about how you would expect. And we see that the Grand Inquisitor did not die, and after a gut shot from Vader they leave Reva to die. As she lies there, she finds the communicator with a message from Bail saying he will go to Tattoine to help the boy, and the last shot is on a sleeping Luke.

This is another great episode. To me, the episodes have been getting stronger as the series has progressed. It was great to see Hayden Christenson actually playing Anakin, as he does not do much in the actual Vader suit, and when in the bacta tank he can really only squint. It was also good to get at least some of Reva's backstory and get a sense of how hurt she was both by the Empire and by the Jedi who she feels betrayed her. The show is definitely setting up for a rematch between Vader and Obi-Wan, where we do not know. In Legends, it is made clear that Vader would never set foot on Tattoine again, but obviously, that can change. In Canon, Vader has no idea Luke exists and is his son until after A New Hope, when Boba Fett tells him, so even if he goes to Tattoine he is not going to actually find Luke. How they will wrap up the series is anyone's guess, especially if rumors of a second season are true, but there are a lot of possibilities and it will be interesting to see which path the show takes. 

No comments: