Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Book Review: Star Wars - The High Republic: The Fallen Star

 


As most people reading this review are likely aware by now, the High Republic series of stories pit the Jedi and the Republic as a whole, not against the Sith, but against a group of pirates called The Nihil. The Nihil have been responsible not only for the hyperspace disasters, but the attack on the Republic fair, and a series of skirmishes that ended either with a draw or the Jedi barely winning. This book tells the story of a subversive attack on The Starlight Beacon, the space station that is essentially run by the Jedi and has been a focus of a lot of the High Republic stories up to this point. The Nihil manages to send a team to the station to sabotage it and release something (it is not clear even at the end of the book exactly what) that can severely hamper the Jedi's connection to the force and put them all in danger.

I will not go into great detail about what happens in the book, but I will say that The Nihil scores a decisive victory. In the end, Manchin Ro declares himself to all to be the real Eye of the Nihil and sends a message to the Republic that they are not at all done. One thing that the story does suffer a bit from is having a ton of characters and shifting the story from one point of view to another. It is not impossible to follow, but there are times when the POV switches multiple times per chapter, and it would be a lot easier to read if each chapter focused on one or two characters and then shifted to other characters in the next chapter. That is my only real criticism, otherwise, the story was very good, the pacing went well, and the book holds the readers in suspense all the way to the end. The book is 345 pages long, including a short Epilogue, which is about as long as most of the adult novels (and some of the young adult novels) clock in at. I am a fairly fast reader and was able to get through it in about 10 days reading for an hour or so before bed. If you are one of those who, like me, read all of the canon novels, you will probably have pre-ordered this and read it right away. If you are one of those who gets some, but not all, of the novels, I do think this one is worth picking up.

No comments: