Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Friday, June 17, 2022

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Fringe Season 5

 


+++Warning, this contains spoilers from the fourth season, but no major giveaways from season five.+++

The fifth season of Fringe is really a partial season, just 13 episodes which were meant to tie up the series and give it a proper sendoff, which is not something that shows that end up on Fox's chopping block get. The fifth season is set in the Dystopian future that was shown in Episode 19 of season four, in which the Observers basically become authoritarian overlords with their boots on the throat of the people.

In this season, the main cast is whittled down to Anna Torv, Joshua Jackson, Jasika Nicole, and John Noble. The main recurring characters are Georgina Haig and Michael Cerveris, and Lance Reddick, Blair Brown, and Seth Gable all make special appearances to wrap up their character arcs. The storyline this season involves a plan to defeat the Observers that September and Walter came up with, but in the process fragmented Walter's memory so he cannot remember the entire plan. So, the team has to figure out the entire plan and implement it to save humanity from the Observers. The main issue I have with the final season is that it basically totally abandons William Bell's storyline from season four, and does not really resolve the fact that he was one of the main bad guys in the prior season.

For those who get the Blu-Rays, the show looks and sounds great. There are only a handful of extras, the main one being a making-of documentary for the final season. There is a commentary track on the ninth episode of the season, a few deleted scenes, a portion of the comic-con panel, and a short gag reel.

Overall, the season is good, but not as good as in prior seasons. By this point, the show pretty much abandoned the case-of-the-week format and just had the serial arc that spanned the entire season. So, the show ends up being a much different series that the one it started out as. The acting and writing were still very good, but if you were a huge fan of what the show started out as, you may not like this season as much. The writers did a good job tying the series up and providing a satisfying ending for fans.

No comments: