Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Heroes: Season 4

 


Heroes started out great, with an almost perfect first season that seemed like it was planned from beginning to end. It did have a few missteps along the way, but they were covered up by all it did right. Unfortunately, the show was never able to recapture that success and each season just went downhill, partly because I think the showrunners were always trying to hedge for a new season instead of just telling a solid story and letting everything else play out.

Try as it might to blend the separate storylines successfully as it did in season one, the show never managed to do that this season never really did that. There was a"big bad", played very well by the brilliant Robert Knepper, and the show tried to set up the sense of a big team up to take him down, but it just did not work as well as in the first season. And, the show still could not get the is Sylar a good guy or a bad guy thing straight. I think it would have been much better if the writers had picked one and stuck with it. Also, doing a hard reset at the beginning of every season and just kind of brushing off what happened in the prior season does not work any better this season than it did in seasons 2-3. And, the writers seem to have a harder time juggling the ensemble cast as characters have little or nothing to do for large chunks of time. That said, there are some good elements to the stories this season, the big one being Noah (Jack Coleman) facing consequences for his past actions

The Blu-Ray set has a good amount of extras, but not as much as there had been in the prior season releases. They include about 45 minutes of deleted scenes, a short series retrospective with the series creator, Tim Kring, a twenty-minute featurette on the character of Sylar, a feature on how some of the more effects-heavy scenes were made, and then a few behind-the-scenes featurettes. There are also video commentaries on select episodes and every episode allows for u-control integration of the Heroes Connections feature that will pop up character bios and explain how various characters are connected.

Overall, the season is okay, but seasons 2 and 3, did not replicate the greatness of season one. It does set up the possibility of another season in the finale, however, the show was canceled after the fourth season, and so the ramifications of the finale would not play out until the limited event series, Heroes Reborn, was made six years later with only part of the cast returning.

No comments: