Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Thursday, June 16, 2022

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Heroes: Season 1

 


In 2006 the phrase "Save the Cheerleader" was as popular as the question "Who Killed Laura Palmer" was in 1990. That phrase basically kicked off what was one of the best, and most iconic shows in recent history. You could really consider it to be an "it" show of the season, meaning it was the show that everyone talked about after every episode. The plot of the series boils down to ordinary people discovering extraordinary superpowers after a solar eclipse reveals them, and how these abilities affect the characters' daily lives.

While not itself a comic book adaptation, the series was basically written like a comic book, with each season having one or more volumes in which part of the story plays out, and there are several main storylines in each volume. As the main plots develop, smaller sub-stories are told within them. Each main character's story is developed separately and as time passes their paths cross and it is explained how their stories are intertwined and connected.

The series starred Milo Ventimiglia as Peter Petrelli, Hayden Panettiere as Claire Bennet, Masi Oka as Hiro Nakamura, Adrian Pasdar as Nathan Petrelli, Greg Grunberg as Matt Parkman, Sendhil Ramamurthy as Mohinder Suresh, Ali Larter as Nikki Sanders, Jack Coleman, who was initially a mysterious recurring character whom many called HRG because he wore horn-rimmed glasses and then midway through the season we find out exactly who he is.

The large story that gets intertwined was around saving the Cheerleader, played by Panettiere from a shadowy character known as Sylar who has been going across the country finding and killing superpowered people. The show builds up that story slowly throughout the season and reveals more elements of the overall story with each episode. The plot jumps back and forth between the present, the past, and the future (since one of the characters has the ability to travel through time) and so even within single episodes the show can take drastic turns in style and tone.

For those who get the Blu-Ray, the show looks and sounds great. Obviously, it is an effects-laden show and you can tell it had a substantial effects budget. The A/V quality is wonderful and the effects look as good as they do in any movie. There are a ton of extras including commentary tracks, which include picture-in-picture pop-ups, deleted scenes, artwork, and several making-of and behind-the-scenes featurettes. So if you like bonus materials, there is a ton of stuff (multiple hours) here to keep you occupied.

While the quality of the show did go down in subsequent seasons, this season was nearly perfect. The writing and acting were top-notch, the pacing of the story was perfect and the show intertwined the various storylines in a way that all members of the large ensemble cast were given great material. The show had a lot of twists and turns and they all worked (which is rare). The show also had a very strong recurring and guest cast including James Kyson Lee, Zachary Quinto, Jimmy Jean-Louis, Christopher Eccleston, Clea DuVall, Missy Peregrym, Eric Roberts, Rena Sofer, and Malcolm McDowell. Overall, if you are a fan of the sci-fi genre, this is definitely one you want to check out.

No comments: