Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Friday, June 10, 2022

DVD/TV Series Review: FBI: Most Wanted Season 1

 


This is one of the latest shows in the huge Wolf production machine that includes Law & Order and its various spin-offs and the One-Chicago series (Chicago Fire. PD. and Med). This one was spun off from FBI after just one season. It actually introduced some of the characters in a backdoor pilot episode in Season one of FBI and has a two-episode crossover with its parent show about halfway through the season.

The series stars Julian McMahon (who appeared on Charmed, Nip/Tuck, and the original Fantastic Four movies) as agent Jess LeCroix, as the head of a team that tracks down people who end up on the FBI's most-wanted list. The team includes Kellan Lutz (best known for his role in the Twilight movies), Keisha Castle-Hughes (who is recognizable for a small role in Star Wars Episode III and a larger role in Game of Thrones), Nathaniel Arcand as Clinton Skye, who is an FBI special agent and Jess' brother-in-law, and Roxy Sternberg (who was on the short-lived series Emerald City and the limited event series Mars).

Like the parent show, this is a case-of-the-week show in which some crime occurs before the main titles, and then the team is brought in to track down the fugitive. Unlike the parent show, we get more of a glimpse into the personal lives of the characters, especially Jess' family life. We find out he was married to a Native American service member who was killed in Afghanistan, leaving him a widowed single father. YaYa Gosselin plays his pre-teen daughter Tali. Jess is the character whose personal life we see the most, but we do get at least a glimpse into every character's personal life, which is something that the parent show has really not given us much of (with a couple of exceptions). The series has a good blend of action, drama, and suspense, and characters from the parent series do appear a few times throughout the season.

If you want the physical DVDs you have to purchase an imported set. For some reason, the series was not released on DVD in the US, so you have to get a region 2 set, which also means you need a region 2 or a region-free DVD or Blu-Ray player to watch them. You may also have to adjust the audio settings to hear the English language track. My set defaults to playing in German, so I have to switch it over to English audio for each disc. There are no extras, just the episodes themselves. So, you really have to prefer physical discs to streaming to want to pick this up.

Overall, the show is very good. It is well-written and acted, and has a good mix of stories. The bad guys range from white supremacist domestic terrorists to a grieving Native American father who goes on a killing spree trying to track down his kidnapped daughter. So, if you are a fan of procedural crime shows, this is definitely a good one to check out.

No comments: