Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Justified: Season 2

 


+++Warning, this contains a minor season one spoiler, but no significant giveaways from season two+++

Season two of Justified continues to be a combination of a story or case-of-the-week show with the Marshal's tracking down some fugitive or the like, which is a self-contained story, and a serial that has one or more major story arcs that stretch throughout the season. It picks up right where season one ended with Boyd and Raylan teaming up to deal with the team from Miami who took out Bo and are trying to get to Raylan for killing the mobster in the pilot. That arc is wrapped up in the first episode, then the big story arc the rest of the season involves the Bennet clan, from the county neighboring Harlan County and led by the great character actress Margo Martindale (who is recognizable from many movie and TV series, including The Americans). She basically runs a criminal enterprise with her kids Dickie (played by another great character actor Jeremy Davies), Coover (played by Brad William Henke), and the Bennett Police Chief Doyle (played by Joseph Lyle Taylor) that she is trying to turn legitimate. Kaitlyn Dever was also cast as a recurring character named Loretta McCready whose role increases as the series goes on. The Bennets and the Crowders basically feud the entire season, and Raylan ends up in the middle.

For those who get the Blu-Ray, the show looks and sounds great, and again, like season one, has a lot of great cinematography shots that really pop in HD. The extras are spread out across all of the discs and include about ten minutes of deleted scenes, a couple of making-of featurettes that total about 45 minutes between them, a short gag reel, and a discussion between the showrunners and Elmore Leonard, the author whose stories the series was adapted from. So, if you like watching the extras there is a decent amount there for you.

Overall, the series continues to be very good. I do think that this is a show that is helped by having the smaller run of episodes as helps things flow well and leaves the audience wanting more. The writing and acting continue to be top-notch with all of the characters continuing to evolve and the show does a good job balancing a large ensemble cast event though Raylan and Boyd are clearly the main characters so Olyphant and Goggins get most of the screen time. If you were a fan of season one, this is definitely worth watching.

No comments: