Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Frasier: The Complete Original Series

 


The 264-episode sitcom Frasier aired for 11 seasons from 1993 to 2004. It is the most successful series directly spun off from Cheers, following the short-lived 1987 spin-off The Tortellis and preceding the shared-universe series Wings. The central premise follows Dr. Frasier Crane after his attempted reconciliation with Lilith fails. He moves back to his hometown of Seattle and begins hosting a call-in radio show, which serves as the anchor for the workplace segments of the series. Outside the radio station, most of the scenes occur either in Frasier's apartment or in the local coffee shop near the radio station. The main ensemble cast includes Kelsey Grammer, Jane Leeves, David Hyde Pierce, John Mahoney, and Peri Gilpin.
The core comedy of the series relies on the specific dynamics and friction between these central characters. Peri Gilpin plays Roz Doyle, the producer of Frasier's radio show, while David Hyde Pierce plays his brother, Niles Crane, an even more fastidious psychiatrist who is married to a wealthy, eccentric woman named Maris who remains entirely unseen throughout the series. John Mahoney plays Frasier's father, Martin Crane, a retired police officer who has to move into Frasier's apartment along with his dog, Eddie, after a hip injury leaves him disabled. Jane Leeves rounds out the household as Daphne Moon, Martin's live-in physical therapist and the object of Niles's long-term obsession. The interplay between the upper-class sensibilities of the brothers and Martin's down-to-earth perspective forms the foundation of the household conflict.
Beyond the core cast, the show established a reliable roster of recurring characters and guest appearances. Dan Butler plays the sports show host Bulldog, who was eventually promoted to a series regular for a period, while Edward Hibbert appears regularly as food critic Gil Chesterson, and Harriet Sansom Harris plays Frasier's aggressive agent, Bebe Glazer. The series maintained ties to Cheers through guest appearances by Bebe Neuwirth as Lilith, Ted Danson as Sam Malone, and Woody Harrelson as Woody Boyd. A larger reunion occurs when the characters travel to Boston and end up at Cliff's retirement party, in an episode featuring John Ratzenberger, George Wendt, and Rhea Perlman reprising their roles. Additionally, the daily radio show setup allowed a continuous stream of celebrity voice cameos as troubled callers, including athletes, actors, and musicians.
Structurally, the series blends a story-of-the-week procedural format with multi-season serial narrative arcs. Major ongoing storylines involve the prolonged relationship hurdles between Niles and Daphne, Niles's eventual divorce from Maris, and Martin finding a new romantic partner later in life. The writers also integrated real-world production factors into the narrative, such as writing around Jane Leeves's real-life pregnancy by constructing a weight-gain subplot, and handling a serious mid-series heart surgery arc for Niles. The first episode of the ninth season, airing shortly after the September 11th attacks, was dedicated to series co-creator David Angell and his wife, who were passengers on American Flight 11.
The physical Blu-ray set is a 33-disc collection that serves as the only high-definition release of the series, as individual seasons are not sold separately on the format. Each season is in its own keep case with three discs, and these cases are housed in a decorative outer box. The video and audio quality represent a noticeable upgrade, though the earlier seasons show occasional limitations based on the condition of the original source material. Because the final seasons were produced later in the show's original broadcast run, they show fewer technical flaws and offer a cleaner visual presentation.
The bonus features on this set consist entirely of legacy content carried over from the older individual season releases. These features include creator commentary tracks on select episodes, short featurettes focused on specific characters like Roz, Maris, and Eddie, a tour of Frasier's apartment, and various retrospective cast and crew interviews. No new supplemental material was created specifically for this Blu-ray release. The set also omits certain broadcast extras, such as the 200th-episode retrospective special hosted by Bob Costas.
Overall, the show is a very good to great sitcom. Some elements of the writing and specific references have dated since the episodes originally aired. Certain jokes would likely be reworked or left out entirely if the show were produced today. Even so, the show mostly holds up well even years later. The writers balanced the storylines effectively so that each main character received focused material throughout the eleven-year run. Ultimately, if you were a fan of the series and/or a fan of Cheers, this set provides a substantial technical upgrade over the DVDs and is a worthwhile addition to a physical media collection.


No comments: