Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, September 28, 2026

Blu-Ray/Movie Review: Friday the 13th Part 2

 



Friday the 13th Part 2 is the 1981 follow-up to the original 1980 hit film. It stars Amy Steel, John Furey, Kristen Baker, Lauren-Marie Taylor, and Stu Charno. Adrienne King and Besty Palmer also reprise their roles, although Palmer had more of a cameo appearance. 

The original intent was to do what John Carpenter had tried to do with Halloween III, and not make it a continuous story, but an anthology series with different movies tied to the Friday the 13th superstition. However, when the ending to the original movie was as well received as it was, they decided to continue the story centered around Jason. The story picks up two months after the events of the original film, with Alice trying to recover from her experience. Later, the film time-jumps five years to a new group of prospective camp counselors attending a school for camp counselors at a different camp near Crystal Lake, which has been shut down. From there, it becomes the typical slasher film that the series has become famous for. 

There are a few different versions of the blu-ray disc out there. I have the Shout! Factory version, which is a single-disc release that can be purchased individually or as part of the complete collection box set. The A/V quality is very good. The audio includes a 2.0 channel track that may not work on some sound systems. It does, however, also include a 5.1 lossless audio track that should work with a surround system, but you may have to change the audio setting once the film starts playing to hear it, even if you select it from the disc's main menu. The extras may vary depending on which edition you get, but most will include an interview with the author of the book "Inside Crystal Lake Memories", the second chapter of the Lost Tales from Camp Blood short, and a featurette on one of the horror conventions. Mine also includes a podcast interview with Amy Steel, the theatrical trailer, radio spots, and a couple of different stills galleries.  

The movie is very much a carbon copy of the first film. Most of the action happens in the second half, and the third act has the most going on. You pretty much know what you get with these films: the acting and writing will be okay, but not stellar; there will be some gratuitous nudity and a lot of violence. This version of Jason is definitely not who we get in later films when he is basically unstoppable and wears the hockey mask. Ultimately, if you like horror movies and you enjoyed the first film, you will probably like this one (even though there is not much new about this one other than who the killer is). It does, however, set up what will come in the later films, so it is worth watching. 


No comments: