Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

DVD/TV Series Review: Baywatch Season 2

 


The second season of Baywatch sees a lot of turnover for the show. First, it had been canceled after one season (the 1989-1990 tv season) on NBC and off the air for over a year. It was revived and aired in syndication starting in the 1991-1992 TV season with many cast departures including Parker Stephenson and Holly Gagnier (about 2/3 of the way through the season we find out that they moved out East and Craig returned to practicing law full time), as well as Brandon Coll. Jeremy Jackson was cast as Hobe and the character was de-aged from 13 years old to 10 years old. Gregory Alan Williams was brought back as a recurring character and John Allen Nelson basically left the show (making only a single appearance in season two). Tom McTigue and Richard Jaekel joined as series regulars and Monte Markham did return along with Billy Warlock and Erika Elaniak. And, of course, Hasselhoff returned as the lead and an Executive Producer.

Aside from the cast changes, the format of the show pretty much remained the same. It is the quintessential procedural drama with a weekly story (some were okay others were very bad) that was resolved by the end of the episode. There was very little continuity between the episodes with new characters coming in that the regulars were good friends with who were never previously mentioned and were never to be seen again and you really did not have to see a prior episode to know what was going on in the episode you were watching. 

The show did have many recognizable guest stars again this season including Vanessa Angel, Danny Trejo (in his first-ever acting role in which he still looked older than everyone else on the show), a young Nikki Cox (who would eventually go on to star in the show Unhappily Ever After), Shannon Tweed (who basically played a version of her 80s and 90s b-movie characters without showing her tits), and Wendy Malick (who returned as Mitch's ex-wife for an episode). Bob Denver and Dawn Mitchell also guest starred in a Gilligan's Island tribute episode playing Gilligan and Mary-Anne in a clever twist of writing.

Overall, you know what you get with the show. The writing is mostly bad, and a lot of what they did would never fly in 2023, and as a result, the acting is not all that great either. You still get the silly music montages that randomly spring up throughout the episodes that are mainly there to show off the good-looking cast members and extras. I did not watch the show when it was originally on the air, so I do not know what songs were used when it was broadcast, but given the age of the show, it is very likely that some of the music had to be replaced because of licensing issues. And, there are no extras, just the episodes themselves. Ultimately, if you do not expect award-winning material the show is entertaining, but if you are expecting it to be a well-written and well-acted drama, then you will probably be very disappointed. 

No comments: