Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Sunday, April 30, 2023

Book Review: Star Wars: Cataclysm

 


Cataclysm is the third (in chronological order) main storyline, adult canon novel in the Star Wars canon material. It is set during the early High-Republic era and picks up shortly after the events of the previous book, Battle of Jedha. The story is still set around the warring neighboring planets of Eiram and E'ronoh. The Jedi discover that "The Path of the Open Hand", which is basically a cult that appears to be set up as the precursor to the Nihil who are the antagonists in the later High-Republic novels, sabotaged the peace talks on Jedha and are using the warring planets as a part of the larger plan to take out the Jedi. The climax of the story occurs on a planet called Dalna, where the Path has a stronghold, and a massive battle between the Jedi and the Path occurs.

This book finally does what I have been waiting for the High Republic novels to do, namely incorporate Yoda, the most recognizable Jedi alive at the time, into the larger storyline. In all of the other novels, be they the adult novels or the young adult novels, if Yoda is mentioned, it is in passing and amounts to a sentence or two. In this book, he actually appears and takes part in the story. Actually, he and Yaddle both appear, and Yaddle has an even larger role in the story.

The book is a good blend of action and suspense. It reveals more about the mysterious entity that can block the Jedi's use of The Force and turn people to ash (which introduces a bit of a plot hole in the later High Republic novels in which the Jedi seem totally clueless about what it is), and the author does a good job of making you care about and get invested in the new characters, having used the two previous books to establish those characters. The other big issue I had with the first batch of High Republic novels (which occur later in the chronology than this book) is that it seemed like every book introduced a bunch of new characters and it would take three books to return to the storylines of previously introduced characters. And by then, it was hard to keep them all straight. While this book does introduce some new characters, many of the characters that were introduced in the books Convergence and Battle of Jedha also appear in this book, so it feels like a cohesive story. 

In my opinion, this is the best of the High-Republic novels (at least so far), with the proviso that I have read all of the adult novels and most of the young-adult novels set in the High-Republic era. The story flows well, it wraps up the story told in the first two books and provides almost a blank slate from which future books can pick up. The book is just under 400 pages and can easily be read in a week or so, depending on how fast you read and how much time you have to read. It is definitely on my must-read list for die-hard Star Wars fans.

No comments: