Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Sunday, October 6, 2024

Blu-Ray/TV Series Review: Shameless Season 6

 


The 12-episode sixth season of Shameless aired during the winter and spring of 2016. It saw much of the same and, in some ways, different dysfunction from the Gallagher clan. The season sees more adult storylines for Deb and Carl, with both hitting bottom in their own ways. Carl, after coming out of juvie, is steeped in the gang culture, and Deb, on the heels of her positive pregnancy test after lying to her boyfriend about being on the pill. Lip's life at college goes haywire as his affair with his professor is ongoing, and he is trying to balance that with his time as a TA in physics working for a professor who has a drinking problem that rivals that of Frank. Frank continues to be generally horrible throughout the season, which leads to a reckoning with the family by the end of the season. We also meet another of Frank's old flames, Sammi's mother, played by Twin Peaks alum Sherrilyn Fenn. Fiona and Ian see more stability in their lives, with Fiona working at the diner and dating Sean and Ian working toward becoming a firefighter. Thankfully, the show has given storylines for Kevin and V separate from just being the Gallagher's neighbors, and they continue to have probably the best and most complicated relationship on the show.

Overall, the show continues to be well-written and acted. As always, there are many adult themes, including sex, drug use, and violence. All of the actors, including the younger ones, do a great job with their characters, and the show continues to develop the characters well as it progresses. The show also does a great job of mixing drama and dark comedy, and there are many points where you bust out laughing but feel kind of bad about doing so.

The Blu-Ray set is a two-disc set. The episodes and bonus material are spread across the two discs. The extras include deleted scenes (about 35 minutes worth), a featurette that follows Shinola Hampton around for a day, and a round of pool with William H. Macy, Emmy Rossum, and two of the show's writers as they discuss the characters and the show in general. A decent amount, but not as much as in the releases for the first couple of seasons. By now, anyone reading this review will know what the show is and is not. There is more cast turnover this year, with Noel Fisher being essentially written out of the show after Mickey was arrested at the end of the prior season. But, unless you were only watching the show for one of the characters that left the show, if you liked the prior seasons, you will probably like this one. Conversely, if you have not enjoyed the prior seasons, there is probably nothing about this one that will convert you.

No comments: