Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, October 14, 2024

DVD/TV Series Review: The Good Wife: Season 6

 


+++Warning, this reveals the big season 5 spoiler but does not have any major season 6 giveaways+++

The 22-episode 6th season of The Good Wife aired during the 2014/2015 TV season. It is the penultimate season of the show. It split the season into two big story arcs. One involves Cary and Kalinda, and the other involves the state's attorney race, which goes on throughout most of the season. I will not spoil any plotlines, although chances are anyone reading this by now already knows how the season played out. There are a lot of great guest stars again, some of the usuals like Michael J. Fox and Mike Colter (who plays a larger role this season than he has in the past seasons) as well as new ones such as Ed Asner.

The season also had more cast turnover. Matthew Goode would come on as a series regular after being introduced midway through season five. At first, it seemed like he would be a replacement for Will in Alicia's life, but I think the choice the writers took with the character was better, although by the end of the season, his arc was pretty much played out. The more controversial departure was that of Archie Panjabi. As most know, there was some friction between her and Julianna Margulies, which resulted in her leaving voluntarily (which was the party line) or being forced out. In the bonus material, everyone was cordial about her leaving the show, and kind of hilariously made it seem like Kalinda and Alicia's final scene together was some great acting chemistry between Panjabi and Margulies, given that it is now pretty well known that they did not film it together. I think the circumstances of her leaving the show were unfortunate, but the writers gave the character a good sendoff. Christine Baranski also had a pretty good story arc with her character having to pick up the pieces of the law firm after Will's death.

The DVD is a six-disc set. The extras include deleted scenes for every episode, and on the final disc, about an hour's worth of making-of and behind-the-scenes material, a couple of promotional character shorts for Diane and Alicia that ran on CBS, and a gag reel—pretty similar to what was included in the prior seasons.

Overall, the season was good. I think they did a good job with the evolution of the characters and gave everyone in the ensemble cast something to do. They also did a good job keeping up with current legal cases with shows that dealt with issues like the Second Amendment, freedom of religion versus gay rights, etc. While the show had a liberal bent, I think they did a good job with the counter-point by adding conservative characters like Diane's husband, and a new client for the firm played by Oliver Platt. Chances are, if you liked the prior seasons, you will like this one. If you were not all that big on the show in the earlier seasons, then there is probably nothing about this one that is likely to change your mind.

No comments: