Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Workout Review: Muscle Burns Fat (MBF)

 


MBF is a three-week workout from BODI/BeachBody. It was released in the summer of 2020 during the height of the pandemic. Since it is a newer program, it is only available on the streaming app and not on DVD as BeachBody's early programs were.  Knowing that the programs take a while to film and edit, I am unsure if the format was because of the pandemic or just fortuitous, but the trainer, Megan Davies, leads the workout from a set, and the cast members work out at home and connect via Zoom. So, you see the cast members in small boxes around the main box that displays what Megan is doing. 

The program is a cardio and muscle endurance-based workout. Three days a week, you do a resistance-focused workout: Monday is a lower-body workout, Wednesday is a lower-body workout, and Friday is a total-body resistance workout. Tuesday and Thursday are core circuit workouts in which you alternate between cardio and abdominal work. Saturday is a hybrid workout in which you use dumbells for part of it and do bodyweight exercises for part of it. Sunday is a recovery routine with stretching and yoga exercises. So, you need a selection of dumbells and a cordless jump rope. Those are jump rope handles with about a foot of cord and a foam ball on the ends of the cords. So you can simulate jumping rope without worrying about tripping over the rope. 

As I said above, this workout is mostly about muscle endurance and cardio. Once the workouts start, there is no rest between sets or blocks of exercises (between blocks, you usually use the cordless jump rope to do a cardion recovery), aside from the time it takes to transition from exercise to exercise. So, on the resistance days, you will very likely use a lot lighter weight for many exercises than you are used to. The M, W, and F workouts follow a format in which you do two unbalanced blocks and two balanced blocks. In the unbalanced blocks, you do two exercises holding weight in one hand, then you do a combo of both exercises back to back, then switch to the other side. In the two balanced blocks, you hold weight in each hand. The T and Th workouts alternate between core and cardio. In the last four minutes of those workouts, you do as many rounds of four cardio exercises as possible. On Saturday, you do three every-minute-on-the-minute blocks. Two of them last five minutes, and one lasts ten minutes. The two five-minute blocks require you to do a certain number of reps of the same exercise. In the ten-minute block, you alternate between two exercises. How much rest you get between sets depends on how fast you do them, but Megan stops everyone at 40 seconds, so you get at least 20 seconds of rest before the next minute starts.

Overall, the program is good but challenging. Even if you are in good shape, this will be a challenging program. Because there are no built-in rest breaks, all the workouts are short (26-39 minutes, depending on the workout). It can be a bit hard to follow what is happening since there are multiple boxes on the screen, and it can be distracting to listen to all of the cast members talking over each other in the background. There is a modifier that does modified versions of the various exercises, and she is usually on a split screen with Megan at the beginning of each exercise so you can see the modified version of the moves without trying to find the box with the modifier in it on the screen as you are working out. I am not sure that it would be a workout program that I return to over and over, but it is definitely worth trying at least once because even if you are in good shape, it will give you body a shock, which will definitely help if you have plateaued. 

No comments: