Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, June 17, 2024

Blu-Ray/Movie Review: Supergirl

 


Supergirl is an action-adventure movie from 1984 starring Helen Slater, Faye Dunaway, Peter O'Toole, Mia Farrow, Hart Bochner, and Peter Cook. It is definitely a hot mess of a movie, made solely to capitalize on the success of the Christopher Reeve-led Superman movies, which, as time has pretty much revealed, were only a success because of what Richard Donner did with the first movie and the parts of the second movie that he filmed before being fired. But, when Donner was removed from the process entirely as he was in Superman III, the quality of the product went way down.

As people may or may not know, after making Superman III, the producers of the Superman franchise, Alexander and Ilya Salkind, decided that they did not want to make any more Superman movies and decided to bring Supergirl to the big screen. What followed was a pretty incoherent mess of a movie with plot holes a mile wide and a horrible script. It also proved that Superman IV probably would have been just as bad had the Salkinds stayed on to produce it.

Supergirl was definitely trying to Follow the Superman I formula of having a newcomer play Supergirl. The fresh out of high-school 19-year-old Helen Slater was chosen for the leading role, and like the original Superman film, more established actors were hired to play the supporting roles. In this movie, Faye Dunnaway was cast as the big bad, a witch named Selena, and Peter O'Toole was cast in an almost useless role of Zartar, the creator of Argo city, a place in "inner space" where a bunch of Kryptonians lived. Frankly, I am amazed either O'Toole or Dunnaway decided to do the movie, given that the script and the budget (especially the special effects budget) took a huge step back from Superman I and II and even Superman III. Christopher Reeve was supposed to appear as Superman/Clark Kent but backed out at the last minute, and they replaced him with a combination of a Superman poster and bringing in Marc McClure to make an extended cameo appearance as Jimmy Olsen to tie this movie into the Superman movies. McClure has gone on record saying that his role in the movie made no sense, and he has no idea why they even wanted him there if they would not have him mention Superman.

The story is really bad, and as I said above, the plot has a ton of holes. For example, it is never explained how Kara has any idea that her cousin is on Earth, is called Superman, and goes by Clark Kent to disguise his identity when she has been living in Argo City, which is located in another dimension. She leaves Argo City and comes to Earth to chase a sphere that is the power source for Argo City, which ends up in Selena's possession, giving her power over pretty much everything. For some reason, Kara disguises herself as a high school student named Linda Lee at an all-girls school in Midville, Illinois, and pretty much knows how to use all her powers and has a super-suit as she emerges from a lake as she crosses from "inner space" to our dimension. Selena, who has an orb that makes her all-powerful, uses it to make a landscaper (played by Hart Bochner, who would go on to play the slimy Nakatoma employee in Die Hard a few years later) fall in love with her (of course he falls in love with Kara instead).

The Blu-Ray has the international cut of the film that comes in at just over a couple of hours. This was longer than the US theatrical cut. I saw that years ago when I was a kid, but I do not remember how long that was and what was cut out of it. It definitely felt that two hours was way too long for this movie, though. The extras include a making-of featurette that lasts about 51 minutes and the theatrical trailer. Then, on a separate DVD, there is the director's cut of the movie that really only changes the opening a little and extends some of the scenes. But, it does not change the movie drastically. There is also a commentary track with the director and a project consultant. They definitely stick up for the movie and don't really get into the fact that it was a flop that was critically and commercially panned, and they pretty much just stick to talking about how the movie was made.

Overall, the movie is kind of in the category of so bad you have to watch it. I think the failure was that it was allowed to be campy and not have a serious script, unlike the Superman movies, which got more protected by DC Comics and Warner Brothers. Helen Slater was definitely the best part of the movie, especially given how young and inexperienced she was. But, she was not given a lot to work with. I think Peter Cook was horribly cast and did not fit in a Superhero movie at all, and Dunneway's character was just dumb. Again, I think she did what she could with it, but it was not much to work with, either. The budget for the movie must have been a lot less than for any of the Superman movies because the special effects were horrible. They were more like the Superman IV effects after the new producers cut the budget for that movie and went on the cheap with everything. So, it did not have anything close to the look or feel of the first three Superman movies. I know that the filmmakers wanted it to stand on its own, but given that it was in the same universe as Superman, it should have had much better continuity. I think the movie would have been much better without the campy script and had used the version of the story that Kara sent to Earth to protect Kal-El, but took longer to get here, like is the backstory for the Supergirl television series. Then make it a team-up movie with Superman, which Christopher Reeve probably would have stayed on the movie for.

While the Supergirl movie never did turn into a franchise, Slater was able to capitalize on the movie by playing Lara, Kal-El/Clark's Kryptonian mother on the show Smallville, and playing Kara's adoptive Earth mother on the Supergirl TV series. I think it is worth seeing if you are a fan of the Superman movies or Superman and Supergirl from the comics. That said, it is definitely not a must-see by any stretch of the imagination, and you would not miss much if you decide to skip it.

No comments: