Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Thursday, February 29, 2024

Blu-Ray/Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: Ultimate Collector's Edition

 


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone is the 2001 movie starring Daniel Radcliff, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Robbie Coltrane, and Richard Harris. The movie was, of course, based on the wildly popular series of books written by J.K. Rowling and was directed by Chris Columbus. If you read the Harry Potter books before seeing the movies, the movie adaptations will take some getting used to. A lot of the content from the books got cut from the movies (especially in the later movies). The book version of The Sorcerer's Stone is short, so the least amount was cut when making this movie. Even so, not everything in the book made it into the movie. Once you get a feel for how much they have to cut from the books to make the movie and get used to the characters (and the actors playing them), the movies are almost perfect. 

The Ultimate Edition blu-ray set is a three-disc set. The first disc has both the theatrical and extended editions of the movie. The extended edition adds about 7 additional minutes to the total runtime. It basically incorporates some of the deleted scenes into the theatrical edition but does not add anything all that substantial. The only bonus feature on the first disc is a picture-in-picture video director's commentary track that can be played with the theatrical edition of the movie. The other two discs just contain the other special features. The A/V quality of the movies is great. The special effects look amazing, even though they are a bit dated, but the CGI characters look almost like real characters. The big ticket item on the Ultimate Edition is the extras, specifically the five-part documentary series that is the focus of the second disk. In this set, it is Creating the World of Harry Potter. In it, the production staff talks about finding the cast, filming, and how they created Howart's, the Quidditch arena, the various locations used, etc. Not just in the first movie, but throughout the series. You also get things like trailers, TV spots, Deleted Scenes, and a bunch of interactive content.

The only drawback to this film is that the kids were so young and inexperienced as actors that their performances were very inconsistent and forced at times. The veteran actors had to do a lot of the heavy lifting in this movie, but luckily those who did the casting found actors who could learn quickly and develop great skills so that even by the second movie they had their characters down and really became those characters. Of course, all of the adult casting was great. Snape is played perfectly by Alan Rickman, and Richard Harris is perfect as Dumbledore. The only bad thing about the movies was that Harris passed away before they were complete and the actor they brought in to replace him (Michael Gambon) while good, was just not the same. He played Dumbledore differently and did not give the character the same feel as Harris did.

All in all, this movie sets up the series well. It introduces the characters, blends the humor with elements of the dark material that would come in the subsequent films, and tells the story from the book as well as could have been done. As I mentioned, there are portions of even the first book that had to be cut out, and as the books got longer and longer more would have to be cut. So, you have to look at the movies as their own entity and the books as their own.  

If you love the books and want to get the most out of the movies (or if you just love the Fantasy genre), this is a must-have for your collection. Even though it is probably the weakest of all the movies, mainly because the kids were all so green as actors, it is still an excellent film and absolutely worth the time to watch.

No comments: