Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Sunday, February 18, 2024

DVD/Movie Review: Halloween III: Season of the Witch

 


Halloween III, subtitled Season of the Witch, was a 1982 movie starring Tom Atkins, Stacey Nelkin, Dan O'Herlihy,  and Michael Currie. The movie was written by John Carpenter and produced by Carpenter and Debra Hill, who made the first two Halloween movies. This movie was an effort by John Carpenter to make a series of movies under the Halloween banner without the character of Michael Myers character (aside from when a clip from Halloween featuring Michael was playing on TV in the background of one of the scenes). It was a total flop, and hence the series of movies never developed and the studio went on to make multiple movies with Michael Myers as the central character that ranged from pretty good, to incredibly stupid without Carpenter's involvement.

There have been multiple releases on physical media, some of which have an extensive amount of extras. The original DVD release, however, is very bare-bones. It just contains the movie itself and does not have a commentary track or behind-the-scenes material that would come later with the blu-ray release.

I think this movie was doomed as soon as they tried to put the Halloween label on it. By then the Michael Myers character was synonymous with Halloween movies and anything that did not have him in it was never going to be given a shot. Personally, I think Carpenter should have just promoted it under his name and not given it the Halloween title (something even the people involved admit). Had the movie just been titled "John Carpetner's Season of the Witch" or something like that, they could have released the exact same movie and it probably would have done better at the box office and the series would have probably produced more than one film.

As just a horror movie and ignoring the Halloween title, I thought it was good, but not great. Given when it was made and the fact that it was made on a shoestring budget without any big-name actors, the writing and special effects were kind of cheesy, and it has the look and feel of a low-budget horror movie. Even so, it definitely has that creepy factor that any good horror movie has. The storyline was very weird and the story did not (and still will not) appeal to everyone. The crux of the story was basically a company making haunted Halloween masks that when worn when a particular commercial came on would kill the person wearing it. It also had killer androids that would do the bad guy's dirty work. While there are certainly better horror movies out there, if you are a fan of the genre, and are ok with an offbeat out there kind of storyline and the lack of Michael Myers you may want to check this out.

No comments: