Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Thursday, February 29, 2024

Blu-Ray/Movie Review: Harold and Kumar go to White Castle

 


Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle is a 2004 stoner comedy starring Kal Penn and John Cho. The premise of the movie is mostly evident from the movie's title. A couple of friends get stoned and then crave White Castle. In making a trek to get to White Castle to satisfy their case of the munchies, hilarity ensues.  The rest of the cast includes Paula Garces, Bobby Lee, Christopher Meloni, David Krumholtz, Malin Akerman, and Neil Patrick Harris, playing a hilarious version of himself. There are also appearances by Ryan Reynolds and Eddie Kaye Thomas.

The A/V quality of the blu-ray is good, although it is not really a film that needs to be seen in HD since there is not much in the way of effects (aside from just getting a better picture and sound in general). There are a lot of extras included with this release including three different commentary tracks on the movie, several making-of and behind-the-scenes featurettes, a sneak peak of, and the Red Band trailer for, the next movie, Harold and Kumar escape from Guantanamo Bay, deleted scenes, a music video, and a couple of trailers for other movies.  Ultimately, the movie is a good, but not great, comedy. You definitely need to be into crude humor and stoner comedy to like this. If those kinds of movies are not up your alley, you want to skip this because you will only find it offensive and stupid. The humor is random and a bit all over the place but that is really the point. Personally, I think the best parts are the racist cops, the "extreme mixes", and NPH's love-stain comment. Malin Akerman's topless scene was not bad either. There is kind of a story beyond the two of them trying to find White Castle, but it is so in the background that it is really not the point of the movie. I do not really think there was a need to make more than just this movie, and it is the best one in the franchise. If you are looking for a mindless comedy and enjoy the brand humor in this kind of movie, you will like this and it is worth the time to watch.

No comments: