Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, February 19, 2024

DVD/Movie Review: Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Meyers (Spoilers)

 


Halloween 4 was released in 1988, ten years after the original movie, and the events of Halloween I and II. This was the movie that brought Michael Myers back after an attempt to make a Halloween movie (Halloween III: Season of the Witch) without him that fell totally flat and completely bombed at the box office. The producers decided to resurrect Michael for this movie without the involvement of John Carpenter.  This movie brought back Donald Pleasence as Sam Loomis and also starred Danielle Harris, Elie Cornell, Beau Starr, Sasha Jenson, Kathleen Kinmont, and George Wilbur.

This movie starts out with Michael locked up in the basement of some relatively secure facility, bandaged and scarred from the burns he received at the end of Halloween II. For some reason, he is being moved, and when the ambulance crew mentions he has a niece living in Haddonfield (played by Danielle Harris, who plays Jamie, the daughter of Laurie Strode who was killed off in this version), he comes back to life and the usual shenanigans ensue.  What follows is the standard fare of Michael going through the town killing anyone who got in his way. 

The special edition DVD (which was released in 2006) includes several bonus features most of which were produced years after the movie was released. There are two different commentary tracks on the movie, one by the writer of the movie and one with Harris and Cornell. There is also a discussion panel with cast and crew members who worked on Halloween 4 and 5, a making-of featurette, and the trailer for the movie.

I don't necessarily think that there was a big need to make this film. I think a fine ending to the series would have been to have Myers and Loomis killed at the end of Halloween 2. But, if they were going to bring him back, this was as good a story as there could have been to do so (since Jamie Lee Curtis did not return for this one). This movie was made before the franchise got overly stupid (as would happen in Halloween 6 and 8 and even to some extent in 5). Danielle Harris does a very good job as Jamie, especially being so young, and Ellie Cornell is great in her role as well. Donald Pleasance plays Loomis with the same intensity that he did in the original movies and brought the gravitas that the film needed to resurrect the series.

Ultimately if you liked the original Halloween and Halloween 2 you will probably like this movie. While this movie is not as good as either of the first two movies and it does suffer from not having Jamie Lee Curtis in it, it does hold its own. It is also not as good as Halloween H20/Halloween 7 (which does bring back Curtis and basically resets the series again ignoring movies 4-6). If you are a fan of the first two Halloween movies and/or horror movies in general, it is worth the time to watch.

No comments: