Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Thursday, June 15, 2023

Book Review: Star Wars: Path of Deceit

 


Path of Deceit is another young-adult Star Wars novel set during the early High Republic era. It is set sometime before the events depicted in the book, Battle of Jedha. In the early chapters, it seems like the book is just going to be another ancillary side story, with a bunch of new characters that are pretty uninteresting. However, by the end of the book, a lot is revealed, including exactly what the monster is that the Path of the Open Hand, and later the Nihil, use to kill Jedi (and how it actually kills them). 

The story is set on the planet Dalna, in the Outer Rim where the Path has their compound. A Jedi named Zalla Marci and her Padawan named Kevmo Zink travel to Dalna to find stolen force artifacts that they suspect the Path is hoarding. During the mission, Kevmo falls for one of the Path members, Marda Ro. They each try to convince each other that their respective views of The Force are correct while falling in love. Over the course of the book, we learn more about the Path's leader, The Mother, and get a bit more insight into her plans.

Overall, the story is good, but it takes a long time to get to the good parts. For the first 2/3 of the book it seems like it is just going to be a love story between Kevmo and Marda, and then in the last handful of chapters, the story picks up a lot, and unexpectedly. It ends up being one of my must-read canon novels, but I do only give it 4-stars because it takes such a long time to get to the good part. The book is just under 350 pages. If you read quickly, it can be finished in a day or two, even though you do have to slog through the first part of the book to get to the really good stuff. If you are tempted to stop reading it in the beginning, definitely keep going because it is worth it.

No comments: