Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Sunday, August 8, 2021

DVD Review: Chicago Justice Season One

 


Chicago Justice is the answer to how many Chicago-based dramas were too many before fans lost interest? The answer being four. It was, back in 2017, a part of the massive Dick Wolff (of Law and Order, and Chicago Fire, PD, and Med fame) productions. It basically was set in court (most of the time) and tackled a lot of heavy issues during its run (such as gun control, racism, gang violence, etc.). Of course, this could really be titled Chicago Justice The Complete Series because it only lasted one partial season, never making it past the initial run of thirteen episodes (13.5 if you count the backdoor pilot that it got in the third season of Chicago PD).

The series starred Phillip Winchester as Illinois assistant State's Attorney Phillip Stone, Carl Weathers as his boss, Monaca Barbaro as the junior assistant State's Attorney Anna Valdez, Joelle Carter (best known for her role in the series Justified) as Laura Nagel, who, along with Jon Seda's character Antonio Dawson who came over from Chicago PD, were investigators for the State's Attorney's office.

As I said, the show dealt with a lot of heavy topics, and actually got a lot of the law and some of the courtroom stuff right. Of course, legal dramas have to take a lot of liberty with courtroom scenes because the way things play out (for the most part) in real-life courtrooms are pretty boring and would not make for good television. I think what hurt the series was twofold. First, there was never anything more than superficial glimpses into the characters' lives outside of work. The audience never really got to know what the characters did in their "regular" lives, so it was hard to care about them. And, the show did not lean enough on the other Chicago-based series. The series premiere started out as the third part of a crossover with Fire and PD, but really after that, characters from the other shows just made cameo appearances. I think the show would have benefitted from having more of the PD storylines bleed into Justice, kind of as a setup to the courtroom dramas. Instead, you had everything wrapped up in a bow by the end of the episode from the initial investigation to the jury verdict. Certainly, that did not have to be the case with every show, but I think using the more established Chicago PD to help this one get its footing until it could stand completely on its own would have been a good idea. And, since it had already ended its season before the next season pickups were announced, it was never given a proper series finale. 

Overall, the series was good and should have had more rope than it was given. The acting was very good, and the writing, while it was not as good as it could have been, was better than it got credit for. There are no DVD extras beyond the Fire and PD episodes that make up the "One Chicago" crossover event to start the series off. So, really the only reason to get the DVD over streaming is if you have the sets for the other shows and want this one to make a complete collection.


No comments: