Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Friday, August 13, 2021

4kUHD/Movie Review: Almost Famous

 


Almost Famous was the semi-autobiographical movie by writer/director Cameron Crowe (who also wrote the screenplay for the great coming of age movie Fast Times as Ridgemont High and directed Jerry McGuire) of his time in the early 1970s as a writer for Rolling Stone. Specifically about his time on the road with the Allman Brothers Band in 1973. In the movie, William Miller, played by Patrick Fugit ends up on the road with a fictional band called Stillwater. The main band members were played by Jason Lee (who up to that point was mainly known as playing smartass characters in Kevin Smith's movies) as lead singer Jeff Bebe and Billy Crudup as lead guitarist Russell Hammond. Miller ends up joining the band on tour (basically dropping out of his senior year of high school at age 15) and has unparalleled access to the band despite being the "Enemy" as a journalist. The band is also followed around by Band-Aids (who are basically glorified groupies) led by Penny Lane (played by Kate Hudson in her first major role), Anna Paquin, and Fairuza Balk. 

The movie sports an A-list supporting cast including Francis McDormand as William's overbearing mother, Zooey Deschanel as Willian's sister, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Lester Bangs. There are also appearances by actors who would later become recognizable if not A-Listers themselves such as Eric Stonestreet (best known for his role on Modern Family) and Jay Baruchel. And, Jimmy Fallon appeared in what amounted to a great, extended cameo role. 

The movie basically gives an insider's look at the rock scene at the time and does not sugarcoat the sex and drugs that went along with it. The movie boasts an awesome soundtrack that anyone who is a fan of 1970s music will appreciate. The acting and writing are both top-notch, and despite being a now 20-year-old movie that is essentially a period piece set almost 30 years before the movie was made, it holds up well. Hudson was great as Penny Lane making her both mysterious and vulnerable at the same time, and Fugit does a great job despite being very young. 

The 4kUHD remaster looks and sounds great. There are two 4KUHD discs, one with the theatrical version of the movie and the extras, and one with the Bootleg cut of the movie (that adds over half an hour of extra footage). The first disc includes both the original extras included in the DVD release and new material made during 2019 basically in Cameron Crowe's yard during the pandemic where he shares his view of the movie now 20+ years later. All in all, there is about two hours' worth of extras, the longest feature being the original making-of featurette that clocked in at about 25 minutes.  

Overall, the movie is wonderful and this set is a must for anyone who is a fan, especially if you love bonus features. Some people like the bootleg cut more than the theatrical version. While I do think the scenes in the bootleg cut added somewhat to the overall story, I would not say that it was significantly better than the theatrical cut. They are both outstanding. It is definitely worth the pickup. 

No comments: