Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, October 5, 2026

Book Review: Wuthering Heights

 



Wuthering Heights is a novel by Emily Brontë that was first published in 1847 under the pen name Ellis Bell. It was her only novel and mixes Gothic fiction, romance, and tragedy. Set in the English countryside, it tells the story of Heathcliff, an orphan taken in by the Earnshaw family, and his relationship with Catherine Earnshaw. Catherine eventually marries Edgar Linton, whose family lives on a neighboring estate, but her attachment to Heathcliff continues to affect both families. The story follows their conflicts and the effects those conflicts have on the next generation. Much of it is told through a housekeeper, Nelly Dean, who recounts the families' history to a new tenant named Lockwood.

The version I have is the leather-bound Easton Press edition, which is included in their 100 Greatest Books Ever Written series and comes in at 331 pages. I thought the novel was okay, but the story was hard to follow, and it was sometimes difficult to figure out what was going on. It starts in the story's present, flashes back to events from years earlier, and then returns to the present, but those transitions are not always clear. None of the characters are written to be all that likable, so there is really no protagonist to rally around. Even though there is a bit of a love story mixed in, it mostly feels like a book about a bunch of upper-class English people who cannot stand each other, feuding over land and years-old grudges. Ultimately, while it is a well-known classic, it is not the easiest novel to read. I had a hard time getting into the story or caring about the characters, and I would not say it is a must-read.

No comments: