Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Wednesday, May 8, 2024

DVD/Movie Review: The Rundown

 


The Rundown is a 2003 movie directed by Peter Berg and starring The Rock, Seann William Scott, Christopher Walken, and Rosario Dawson. The story involves the Rock's character, Beck, who is basically a bounty hunter for a rich loan shark (played by William Lucking). Beck is tasked with tracking down the boss' son (played by Scott in his most "un-Stifler like role yet) in Brazil as his final job, after which he will be paid enough to open a restaurant and pursue his real passion as a chef. Along the way he crosses paths with the head of a strip mining operation played wonderfully (albeit in an almost over-the-top "more cowbell" SNL parody of himself) Christopher Walken. Rosario Dawson plays a member of the local resistance, trying to get the mining company out of town.

This is the movie that, in my opinion, proved The Rock had some bona fide acting chops and acting range. That, of course, is not always a given for pro wrestlers turned actors (see Hulk Hogan and Jesse Ventura for the laughably bad end of the spectrum)This was just his third overall movie (after The Mummy Returns and The Scorpion King) and only his second in a leading role. It was a role that allowed him to be the action hero everyone thought he would be coming from the pro wrestling world, show off his sometimes underrated comedic side, and even allowed him to make fun of himself a little. It is certainly not an overly complicated plot, nor does it take much thought or energy to watch. That said, it is more than just a "shoot 'em up" kind of action movie, although there is plenty of that. If you are a fan of The Rock or just a fan of action movies, it is definitely worth checking out and makes for a good way to kill a couple hours.

The DVD bonus materials include two different commentary tracks on the movie. One includes The Rock and director Peter Berg, and the other is by a couple of producers. Then, there are about 45 minutes or so worth of behind-the-scenes, making-of features, and deleted scenes. It is definitely not a movie that will appeal to everyone. It would not ever win an Academy Award, but it is a good action movie that does not take itself too seriously. It is definitely worth a look.

No comments: