Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Sunday, December 3, 2023

DVD/TV Series Review: Baywatch: Season 8

 


The 8th season of Baywatch consisted of 22 episodes and aired in syndication during the 1997-1998 TV season. The show yet again had a lot of cast turnover. Pamela Anderson left the show after season 7 and the show left the cliffhanger ending open until the fourth episode of the 8th season revealing that CJ met a tattooed rock star and got married. This was also the season in which Yasmine Bleeth left the show (she was fired because of her drug use) but the writers actually did give her a sendoff. She appeared in a handful of episodes (though she was never shown in the main credits), but as the show often was, the episodes were not aired in the order of her storyline, so she kind of just randomly popped up until she didn't. Parker Stevenson, who left the show after season one returned for a few episodes to have a mini-storyline, and the series added Carmen Electra, Kelly Packard, Michael Bergen, Marilice Andrada, and Angelica Bridges as series regulars. The show did not get as many notable guest stars but Jeff Altman returned to the show as yet another character, radio host Shadoe Stevens guest starred, Gregory Allan Williams reprised his role as Elerbee, and David Hasselhoff's wife, Pamela Bach, played a totally different character than the recurring role she played in the early seasons of the show.

In the DVD set, the 22 episodes are spread across 6 discs. There are no extras or subtitles. By the 8th season, the show pretty much gave up on continuity. Some of that was on the showrunners and part of it was on whomever selected the order to air the episodes. For example, they had Mitch's mother in an episode this season but totally abandoned the Alzheimer's storyline, and the show's romances rarely made any sense (and this season is no exception). The season ends with a three-part finale that leaves the direction of the show totally open, and of course, there are the music montages to show off the ridiculously good-looking cast. Carmen Electra dancing accounts for several of the montages this season. Overall, the series is what it is. A prime-time story-of-the-week soap opera. The acting and writing are spotty at best (to be kind), but if you can accept it for what it is and don't expect any more than that, it can be entertaining.

No comments: