Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, March 28, 2022

DVD/TV Series Review: The Bionic Woman Volume One

 


This series is the 2007 reboot of the 1976 series of the same name. It starred Michelle Ryan as Jamie Sommers a bartender who is taking care of her younger sister Becca (played by Lucy Hale). When she is involved in a nearly fatal car accident, Jamie is saved by her boyfriend who implants cybernetic devices that basically turn her into a superhuman. She reluctantly becomes an agent for a shadowy organization called The Berkut Group, headed by a man named Jonas Bledsoe(played by Miguel Ferrer).

As people may remember, this show got a ton of hype before it debut, to the detriment of shows like Chuck (which was a better show). It fell victim to a couple of issues, the fact that it (like most shows of its ilk) took some time to find its footing, and when it did, it ran headlong into the writers strike that ended every show prematurely that year, and it ended up being canceled after just eight episodes. The show definitely had a lot of potential but was not around long enough to realize that potential. It was a procedural case-of-the-week show that had a larger story arc that was playing out throughout the season that involved Battlestar Galactica's, Katee Sackhoff. The show had a good cast, that included not only those I mentioned but also Will Yun Lee (who would go on to have roles on the rebooted Hawaii Five-0 and currently stars on The Good Doctor) and Molly Price. Ryan did a great job in the main role and even had a chance to break out her real English accent.

For those who get the DVD set (it was never released on Blu-Ray, which is not all that surprising) the eight episodes are spread over two discs. The extras include a commentary track on the pilot episode, a few behind-the-scenes featurettes, and cast profiles. I decent amount of material for those who like watching the extras.

Overall, the series was good but did not have a chance to really show how good it could be. If you get invested in it you will probably end up disappointed because there is no real conclusion to the series, and it leaves a lot unresolved. So really, the only reason to pick this up is if you are a fan of any of the actors or you watched the series when it aired and want the DVD for your collection.



No comments: