Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, March 28, 2022

Blu-Ray/Movie Review: 17 Again

 


17 again is a comedy that many people may avoid because of the presence of Zac Efron, who up to that point had mostly just done the High School Musical series. That would be a huge mistake as it is actually a very good comedy. The premise is that a guy named Mike O'Donnell (played as an adult by Matthew Perry and as a teenager by Efron), basically going through a mid-life crisis (losing his job and going through a divorce). Wishing to relive his glory years as a high-school basketball player he is turned into his 17-year old self while still living in the present day. He discovers that he has to fix things with his family in order to become an adult again.

The movie has a great supporting cast including Leslie Mann as Mike's ex-wife Scarlett, Michelle Trachtenberg (probably best known for her time on Buffy at that point) as his daughter Maggie, who of course falls for him when he is a teenager, Thomas Lennon as his best friend, Ned, Jim Gaffigan as the high school basketball coach, and Melora Hardin as the high school principal. Everyone in the cast did a great job in their roles, but Efron really showed that he had the acting chops to go between the comedic scenes and the more dramatic ones with ease, and he proved he could do more than just look good.

For those who get the Blu-Ray, the movie looks and sounds good in the HD format. It is not really heaving on special effects that make it a must-see in HD, but it the cinematography looks very good. For extras, the most extensive is about 16 minutes of deleted scenes, then there are a handful of behind-the-scenes and making-of featurettes that range from about 3 minutes to about 12 minutes in length.

Overall, the movie is good. It is a pretty wholesome comedy (although there is some swearing and a bit of sexual innuendo, really nothing more than that), which also adds in some touching elements. The easy comparison to make is with the movie Big with a bit of Its a Wonderful Life mixed in. While it is not as good as either of those movies, it was clearly inspired by them, yet manages to be its own story and does not try to copy either of those. It is a pretty simple formula that works. Efron, Mann, and Lennon have great chemistry, and all of the scenes with two or more of them interacting were great. It is definitely not one of the best comedies of all time, but it is worth checking out if you are looking for a pretty light-hearted comedy that can be watched with the family.

No comments: