Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Monday, March 21, 2022

DVD Review: The Algebra 2 Tutor - 6 Hour Course

 



I found Jason's material years ago when I started taking math classes to get what would eventually turn into an Electrical Engineering degree. I was not a great math student my first time through college, so I was looking for any kind of study material I could find to help get myself ready for the classes I would have to take.

This set of DVDs covers much of the material that you would see in an intermediate algebra level course in college, as well as some of the material that you get in a college algebra course. At six hours it does not, obviously, cover an entire semester's worth of material. It starts out with graphing equations (pretty much of lines), then gets into the slope of a line, writing equations of lines, solving systems of equations, equations with radicals, fractional exponents, and then ends with polynomial equations and the quadratic formula. So, it covers a lot of key material, but as I said, it does not get into everything in a full semester-long course. But, if paired with Jason's other sets, the advanced algebra and matrix algebra tutors, you will get about 85-90% of what you will see in a college algebra course.

One thing to be aware of, this is a lecture-like series of videos with Jason standing in front of a whiteboard working on problems. So, you have to know what your particular learning style is. Even though it is lecture-like, it is not exactly the same kind of lecture you will get in a "regular" class, where professors tend to go through the theory ad-nauseum. Jason explains just enough of the theory to get you to understand the concepts but then goes through a bunch of example problems, step-by-step. He explains each step as he goes along and then recaps the process after the problem is fully worked out. He also gives hints about what can trip people up, and things to watch out for when solving problems. He also encourages students to go back and work the problems on their own to drill the concepts into their heads.

Overall, this is a great set, and if you are an audio and/or visual learner, this will help you a lot. It is a lot cheaper than an in-person tutor, but the trade-off is the lack of ability to ask questions or get help with real homework problems which you can get with an in-person tutor. With those caveats, it is definitely a good investment for anyone needing extra help with math or just wanting to learn the material on their own.

No comments: