Welcome

Welcome to my ever-evolving blog. It started out as a blog on Beachbody workouts and products, mainly when I was a Beachbody coach. I no longer coach, not because I don't believe in Beachbody's programs (I subscribe to Beachbody on Demand and use their workouts every day), I am just not a salesperson and hated that aspect of it. I am more than willing to answer questions about my experiences with their products and the various workouts, and I feel freer to do so without the appearance of giving a biased review of something.

I have also started adding reviews for various things I have purchased like movies, books, CDs, and other products. This was brought about by a fight with Amazon in which all of my reviews were removed over a completely bullshit allegation that I posted a review that violated their terms of service. After going back and forth with the morons in the community-reviews department (even after they admitted that my posts did not violate their guidelines) they restored my account (which took them six months to do), but I have been posting my reviews on my blog to have them preserved in case something like that happens again. And here, I will post uncensored reviews so I will swear from time to time and post reviews that may be longer than Amazon's character limit. Everything I post here on any topic or product is my personal opinion, and I take no compensation for any product reviews I post. I am a member of Amazon's vine program and because I get those products for free, I keep those reviews on Amazon only, but everything I have purchased with my own money, whether from Amazon or some other store/website/outlet, I will post here.  

I also plan to do some longer blog posts on various topics, such as how to learn physics, how to get through calculus, and longer reviews of workout programs as I do them. Basically, whatever strikes me as interesting at the time.  As you can see if you navigate around the blog, I had many years in between postings. During that time I was going back to school to get an engineering degree, and learning material that I avoided my first time through college was a different experience and one that gave me a lot of insight into how to do well in those classes, which I will try to impart here for those who are looking to get a science or engineering degree. 

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

DVD Review: The Ultimate Physics Tutor

 


As most are likely aware, physics classes range from very introductory, with little to no math (usually in a college class called something like physics for poets or something like that), then algebra-based/high-school physics, where you use math but the equations are pretty much given to you and the problems are easier, and then calculus-based or high-school AP physics, where the equations are derived using calculus, but the problems are harder. Even in calculus-based physics (which is the one you have to take if you are going into any of the engineering disciplines) you only use calculus on a very limited basis in the problems. I think when I took calc-based physics I had two exam problems that required using calculus and maybe 4-5 homework problems between the two semesters. But, the problems were a lot harder than in the algebra-based physics class (or so my professor told our class).

At any rate, the problems in this, while geared more toward the algebra-based physics level, still helped me get through the first semester of calc-based physics with an A. And, there were actually a couple of problems worked out in this set that was very similar to the "easier" homework problems we were assigned (when our professor occasionally assigned us a level-1 problem). The set covers the major topics from the first semester of physics, which is basically the semester on Newton's laws of motion. It starts out with motion in one dimension, then discusses the equations of motion in one dimension (which you will have to memorize), scalars and vectors, projectile motion, Newton's laws of motion, Newton's Laws with friction, kinetic, and potential energy, impulse and momentum, work, collisions, angular speed, and acceleration, totational motion, tangential speed, and centripetal force, gravitation, torque, and then ends with the physics of liquids.

Like Jason's math sets, it is just him in front of a whiteboard working out problems. He takes you through the process of breaking down problems, writing a picture and creating force diagrams, and then working out the steps. He also shows how he does unit conversion/dimensional analysis (which makes way more sense than reading it from the first chapter of the book) to make sure to get the problem into the correct units before you solve it. He gives enough of the theory to understand the equations but focuses on solving problems. Really the only topic he did not go as deeply as I would have liked is the problems involving static equilibrium. He did have some, but those were the bane of my existence in first semester physics, and I hated Statics class (although my teacher for that was better than my physics teacher, so I understood it a bit more) with a passion.

I definitely recommend getting this set no matter what level of physics you are taking (unless it is a physics class with no math, then this is probably overkill). Jason makes a lot more sense of the material than a lot of professors do (certainly better than mine did), and he walks through each problem step-by-step never assuming the person watching knows more than they do. Really, the only thing he assumes is that you know algebra, which anyone taking a class with this material should know. So, if you are a visual learner, then this will probably be very helpful for you and I highly recommend it.

No comments: